An oral history of Star Trek: The Next Generation’s iconic episode 'The Inner Light'

Based on the crazy stories in The Original Series — where one planet is Twentieth-Century Roman World and another planet is Just Like Ours Except For The Plague That Killed The Grownups, to pick two examples — one might conclude that causality simply doesn’t work the way we think, and that the universe uses the same information over and over again like a Mandelbrot set, rather than everything being random.

5 Likes

You know, I’m pretty sure I actually only saw this episode one time, the first time it aired, and yet it has stuck with me. I’ve never forgotten it. It definitely left an immediate impression. I should watch it again.

4 Likes

No discussion of this episode is complete without noting how far off the makeup artists were in guessing what Patrick Stewart would look like in 20 years. In their defense, they may not have been paying enough attention to realize he is an ageless immortal.

11 Likes

How perfectly insidious! Everything seems to be fine, and then there are two pages missing in Chapter 8. :tired_face:

Fortunately there is a complete download available here.
http://comicsall.net/comics/3860-the-outer-light-morgan-gendel-1.html

It is but 62 pages and a brisk read if you do not linger. It could have used quite a bit more exposition; it’s certainly nothing particularly revelatory. But nonetheless it does appear to be the product of some care.

5 Likes

I remember that the Wireless catalogue used to sell a reproduction of the flute… Oh, how I coveted it.

4 Likes

Hm, yeah, that one made me tear up, no doubt. Perhaps not full-on blubbering, though :grinning:

2 Likes

I think they decided that they were going to stick to warp 5 or below while they figured the problem out, unless they’re like, really in a rush y’know?

I actually think that episode did a reasonable job with its core analogy. Immediately ceasing all space travel would be the end of their civilisation, essentially - continuing with their current practices equally so.

1 Like

::raises hand:: I believe I qualify…since I was 12 when the original series first aired <g>

Dr. Mrs. Redux and I watched this episode first-run and instantly knew there would never be a better “feelz” story in the series. We loved (loved!) the Borg threat, the Q qomedies, and the Klingon high council hijinks, but the “inside humanity” episodes were always the shows we most treasured.

Similarly, DS9 kicked ass in the intergalactic war category – and all the attendant drama such as Odo’s identity conflicts, Nog’s life-journey, etc. – and matters of politics, religion, and liberation…but the human drama gem of that series was The Visitor.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.