Analyzing the design of unusual Japanese butter tableware

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/16/analyzing-the-design-of-unusual-japanese-butter-tableware.html

5 Likes

The little holes are to extrude separate noodles of butter, which (the Japanese find) are easier to spread.

I want one of those things. But I recommend a Butter Wizard (probably only available in UK). Keeps your butter at your chosen temperature. No more impossible to spread slabs straight from the fridge and no more melted pools of butter in high summer.

6 Likes

I’m sure that a Japanese butter-passing robot would be very cute, and with none of that moping: “Hai Stink-San! Gumbuya!”

4 Likes

Looks like it’s similar to some citrus zesters, just with more holes.

7 Likes

Lee Valley sells one.

9 Likes

Who buys knives?

14 Likes

i was told by my japanese roommate in college that americans “smelled like butter” – so, i guess this checks out.

3 Likes

And, if they are not used to it, it might be a quite disgusting odour, considering that the butyric acid is one of the chemical compounds that give vomit its characteristic stink.

3 Likes

Here’s one that does everything. My Mom had one. I think my Grandmother did, too. It does everything those Japanese tools do, and more.

6 Likes

in an outdated anti-foreigner slur

Riiiiiiight. Because they dropped the xenophobia. /s

1 Like

i’ve had the Nulu knife for a couple of years, but could never get the hang of it. mostly makes a mess :\

1 Like

after wandering around japan for a couple of months, i was seated in a train car that was full of americans. the whole train car smelled like old french fry grease. it was really horrible.

4 Likes

you know, i laugh about this more than i feel it’s some racist characterization, but i’m also fascinated that it’s rooted in some scientific fact. being one-quarter japanese, i’d love to learn that westerners really DO smell different (note – not bad) compared to the locals, i just can’t tell.

2 Likes

I’m sure there are different smells for different populations and diets. But if you say “Whites stink” and laugh about it you will get a very different reaction than if you say “Blacks stink” and laugh about it."

1 Like

Some years ago I was amongst a large group of people who went from typical western diets onto a centrally prepared ration of, well, food. Cooked recognisable ingredients, and zero (as in, not any) fast food. Over the first week or so our sweat noticeably stank, but from then on wasn’t unpleasant at all, even though the environment was equitorial hot.

Either we just got used to each others stank, or once the processed food and salts and nitrates had passed through us we just smelt better. Given that the groups before and after us reported the same effect, I remain inclined to go with the second explanation.

4 Likes

I grabbed a couple of these from the Kickstarter, but it looks like they’re still available:

Noodling does result in some waste, though (as there’s no way to get the bits left in the holes onto the toast…)

1 Like
1 Like

Who buys knives?

Especially when you can make them yourself!

That’s the one I own. Quite handy.

Before we start making claims like that, I’d want some evidence that what you eat affects your smell. Aside from some outliers like large amounts of garlic consumed in a short period, that sounds like a really dubious claim to me.

Compared to other smells which would overwhelm, such as your laundry detergent, cologne/perfume, what you’re carrying, the smelly cab you just got out of, etc, I doubt anyone can tell (aside from my breath) if I had fish or steak for dinner. If you’re in the country in question, are you smelling the people, or all the food stands and butcher shops in the crowded market you’re in?

A train car full of Americans that smelled like french fries? Maybe someone spilled french fries in it or someone was carrying french fries.

Claims of groups of people smelling a certain way gets real racist real fast and I’d suggest steering clear of that notion entirely.

1 Like