Ancient humans interbred with "mystery population"

[Permalink]

1 Like

15 Likes

Finally scientists confirm the SubGenius’s Yetisyn ancestry!

4 Likes

Rishathra!

2 Likes

I think I’ve been on the internet too long…the first thing that popped into my head while reading the link was that someone has probably already created a cartoon showing a bunch of Stone Age male humans sitting at a Star-Wars-esque bar saying to each other “I’d hit that” as they look at an assortment of female hominids.

To complete the scene, it would show that the date rape drug of choice back then was a club.

I need to go scrub out my brain now.

4 Likes

I wish he hadn’t gone with the “Lord of the Rings” analogy. It just opens the door for more Gimli/Legolas slashfic.

4 Likes

Oh for goodness sake would you all stop making the lazy links with aliens. It just makes you all look stupid. I know you think it’s funny but it’s not. It’s just annoying and juvenile. This is especially true since this “mystery population” is blatantly just highly evolved time travellers from the distant future…

4 Likes

My first thought… We are all YETIS.

3 Likes

Can I just add (on a slightly less humourous note) that it’s nice to see that boingboing’s headline highlights what seems to me (the layperson) to be the important part of the discovery whilst Nature’s “spiced” “rampant” headline looks like something from a tabloid rather than a self-described “International weekly journal of science”. Sad that even Nature has to resort to that.

2 Likes

After they moved to Inner Earth they stopped calling.

2 Likes

This was already solved, it was Gaius Baltar.

10 Likes

This has all happened before.

1 Like

My thought doesn’t go to Battlestar Galactica…but rather to the “Golden Torc” Series of Julian May.

2 Likes

Or do you mean… Time traveller aliens?

“What it begins to suggest is that we’re looking at a ‘Lord of the Rings’-type world — that there were many hominid populations,”

Holy shit–maybe I am a half-elf ranger!

8 Likes

Oh that depends entirely on whether or not you consider cyborgs to be alien…

1 Like

Golgafrinchans?

3 Likes

One thing you can count on with us humans. If we can’t eat it or spend it, then f*^k it.

3 Likes

Atlantean superwomyn. Hasn’t anyone here read that book?

(Okay, it’s bad, and racist, and sexist as all hell.)

I think the Golgafrinchans’ naming committee would be very happy with 'Mystery Population".
It’s really edgy and appeals to the 18-30 demographic.

5 Likes