Ancient Romans munched on pizza at the Colosseum while watching the carnage below

Yeah, I think flatbread with classic mediterranean fare is much more likely, plenty of traditional non leavened bread in Italy like torta di testa.

3 Likes

I dunno. What kinds of cheese did they have?

Also, I would like to try that.

2 Likes

Well I know they had the various romano sheep’s milk cheeses, which are white cheeses, so I assume they could manage that part

4 Likes

The glamorous life of an archaeologist

Amazing brickwork and engineering.

4 Likes

I think the only issue would actually be that the flour wouldn’t have been white, and I’m not sure the ovens got as hot as pizza ovens did, cheese and mortadella existed, which go f’ing great on white pizza.

If you’re up for reading some italian, there were at least 6 types of cheese in Rome (but probably more), lots of detail here: Formaggi della Roma imperiale – Ruminantia – Web Magazine del mondo dei Ruminanti including smoked cheese.

6 Likes

I agree with y’all folks… without tomatoes, most likely they were eating just flatbread, probably dressed with cheese and oil and some herbs, basically a modern focaccia. And I’m being extremely generous with my imagination, most likely it was just bread. Pizza, yeah right, with a topping of clickbait.

5 Likes

Archaeologist’s diary, due to be updated today, could not see reference to food, but some about pottery (this might be another excavation).

1 Like

Looking at things Romans liked to snack on, we can envisage an authentic Roman pizza with cheese, olives, nuts, oysters and anchovies, with the essential secret Roman ingredient, garum.

8 Likes

Okay, so the burning question for me is how did the pizza vendors flang (:wink: ) those pizzas? Frisbee style?

3 Likes

Hmm, that doesn’t quite fit with Brian’s assortment.

7 Likes

“What is not described in the Hyperallergic article, or in the linked-to press release from the Parco del Colosseo site (currently down), is how they were able to identify pizza.”
Obviously they discovered it in a dominoes box.

2 Likes

I feel you could have made a pretty good joke with little ceasar’s, or maybe gone with dominarum pizza box, dunno…

5 Likes

Wouldn’t the rotation spread the toppings a little wide?

2 Likes

There is an object available in the chippy next to my brother in law’s house called ‘london pizza’. Yes, it’s pizza with fries on it. I don’t know why it’s called London Pizza, as we’re so far north from London, that if you want another big city, the next ones in Scotland, but there you go.

5 Likes

But the cheese is the glue that holds it all together!

1 Like

and we know what they do to pizza in Scotland.

6 Likes

I feel you could have used the set up as an opportunity deliver the little Caesars joke yourself in a reply instead of flatly critiquing it. if you want we can meet at the site of any archeological remains of your choosing and battle it out . You wear your Little Caesar’s track suit I’ll wear my Domino’s track suit. we’ll face off and see who can draw their pizza box from their hot bag the fastest . then I’ll try a slice of your Little Caesars and you can try a slice of my Dominoes . any time any place I’m ready for a taste off.

4 Likes

Yeah, “Pizzaghetti” is the way

3 Likes

I feel like this tends to be how stories about how far back food goes are. “Ketchup goes back for centuries – except it was made with mushrooms instead of tomatoes, so not really what most people think of as ketchup at all”. It always turns into weird semantics.

It is interesting to know what they ate there though.

Just write unknown stone fruit.

7 Likes

As one does.

Kinda like a late night at Pat’s & Geno’s.

2 Likes