Ancient Romans munched on pizza at the Colosseum while watching the carnage below

Ah, I was just trying to get you more on theme, since it’s in Rome, and about ancient Romans, but I wouldn’t be bringing any American pizza, I’ll bring a slice of pizza al taglio, and I’ll be on a scooter, and in a kappa track suit :wink:

3 Likes

A perfectly cromulent dish.
I’ve had it in Italy. It is usually listed as Pizza Americana on the menu.

4 Likes

Wow. I’d expect such pizza shenanigans in China but Italy??

Best Me Pasa GIFs | Gfycat

4 Likes

I’ve heard, FWIW, that the crowd also egaged in self-pleasuring while watching the acts below.

2 Likes

Imagine catsup, except made with fermented fish.

5 Likes

The name “pizza” seems to go back at least a thousand years. Late-Mediaeval pizza was more a pastry - a sweetened flatbread with a lot of butter in it. It was probably a pretty generic flatbread. Pizza (bianca) still can be a plain flatbread, so it didn’t even necessary have any toppings besides salt and oil.

4 Likes

I think original pizza might have been like fry bread.

1 Like

L.A.'s Mulberry Street Pizzeria’s so-called white spinach pizza may be close enough to what Ancient Romans noshed on: Very flat bread; mozzarella; ricotta; parmesan; spinach; and garlic. No tomato sauce. Deeeeelish! Whenever we end up in the San Fernando Valley, we stop at the MSP in Encino for a few slices of the white spinach and B’klyn style pizzas.

2 Likes

I don’t know about Philadelphia, but the super excellent Italian restaurant we go to when we visit my parents in Mountain Top, PA – King’s Restaurant and Pizzeria – has never had fries on their menu as a pizza topping. They’re pretty traditional.

So fish sauce.

4 Likes

wolf-nipple chips, get-em-while-they’re-hot!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.