Ancient Scottish stone circle turns out to have been built in 1990s

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/30/ancient-scottish-stone-circle.html

7 Likes

Sounds like a NOM paper to me.

“Dating stone circles: notoriously difficult”

11 Likes

It shouldn’t be so hard to date a stone circle from the 90s. You find a forty year old and ask “Hey, was that there when you were a kid?”

I would expect that by this point the assumption would be that if someone finds a new circle without excavating that it must be recent. Otherwise it would already be documented. People have been living in Scotland for at least a few hundred years.

8 Likes

Well, at least ten thousand, apparently.

6 Likes

From personal experience, anyone in their forties who was at a stone circle in the early nineties will have very little recollection of the event.

35 Likes

So let me get this straight. This was the level Scottish technology had reached in the 1990s, and yet a substantial percentage of Scots think they can succeed as an independent country?

14 Likes

They couldn’t have possibly built this with the technology available at the time…aliens.

23 Likes

So I guess we should be concerned about any Iron Age severed heads preserved in resin we find in the circle? Asking for a friend.

8 Likes

Hence the expression, “getting stoned”

2 Likes

Why not? The English were only making crop circles back then.

23 Likes

A thousand years from now, there will be papers on the sudden spread of Inukshuks world-wide.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/enough-with-the-inukshuks-already/article1080258/

5 Likes

Did whoever built it actually put in the time to make it align with the sun and the calendar?

7 Likes

“That it so closely copies a regional monument type shows the local knowledge, appreciation and engagement with the archaeology of the region by the local community.”

Or, and I’m just spit-balling here, it shows that some people like to put heavy rocks in a circle. But I’ll admit his reason is much sexier.

4 Likes

2:10

9 Likes

We are talking about a nation of people who don’t remember what happened last night…

3 Likes

I’m trying to think of an event that would not be acceptable…oh! You’re talking about the National Trust.

Sounds like a great place for events that would not normally be acceptable at a neolithic monument.

Orgies. He means orgies.

5 Likes

I was hoping for some Spinal Tap! I’ll just leave this here:

10 Likes

“Built” seems like a generous description based on that photo. More like “arranged.”

5 Likes

7 Likes