"We got one heavily armed recreational vehicle here, man!"

Originally published at: "We got one heavily armed recreational vehicle here, man!" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Prepper’s wet dream right there.

12 Likes

I don’t see a winch, but there has to be a winch, right?

Do they make cables that are strong enough to pull that thing out of a mudpit and also thin enough to spool onto a winch?

6 Likes

A winch could possibly help other people as well. Can’t chance that.

16 Likes

I feel a front locker, winches front and back, plus a pump to air up and down, would be items you install before the motorcycle lift. I am not sure how the Webasto or whatever comes into play.

12 Likes

Webasto makes diesel heat exchangers for trucks and RVs. I’m not familiar with their hydronic line; from the description it’s a water heater being multitasked for radiant floor heat?

12 Likes

Definitely looks like the kind of overpriced and overbuilt thing meant to appeal to people with way too much money.

11 Likes

Is this a Finch tie-in?

8 Likes

now this is an urban assault vehicle

7 Likes

I’ll wait for this one:

13 Likes

I get more of a “Stripes” vibe

23 Likes

A hydronic system is a boiler heating system. My house has one, which is why we also have a wood burning heater/stove - the boiler is crazy expensive to run at a comfortable temperature of, say 68F, in the dead of Michigan winter.

4 Likes

Hydronic can also refer to chilled water or glycol for air conditioning or process cooling like refrigeration.

1 Like

8 Likes

It looks super top heavy.

3 Likes

Preppers aren’t really the market for these kinds of vehicles. Frankly, they can’t afford it, and it is really cost prohibitive to own something like this if you aren’t going to actually use it.

This is either an extreme overlanding rig or an expedition rig, for traveling into the places where a standard RV just can’t go. Think traveling across the Sahara or crossing the Gobi desert or in the Australian outback.

Mostly, these are used by people who want people to think that they are doing this. Occasionally, they are used by people who actually do this.

8 Likes

In the BB pics the top is in extended, when driving the top is lowered four feet or so. Still… nothing about this thing is going to be a great driving experience.

5 Likes

I can’t figure out who is going to need this. It’s a cross between luxury and apocalypse prepping and it doesn’t look great for either role.

The idea behind a luxury apocalypse is funny to begin with.

4 Likes

What fun is it when BA doesn’t even need to weld these astonishingly heavy steel plates that we found in the very barn the bad guys locked us in?

How can the plan come together if it is already together?!?!?

7 Likes

#vanlife

4 Likes