And the Pantone color of the year for 2015 is... “Marsala.”

[Permalink]

Should have been Oxblood!

3 Likes

So it’s maroon.

4 Likes

@ Grey, Actually, not quite as self confident as maroon. This is more like a darker version of that dread color of the 80’s that was so inexplicably popular: DUSTY ROSE! This was a sickening, mid tone, grayish-pink seen in horrible wall-to-wall carpeting, floral draperies and cheap polyester bed spreads. ‘Dusty Rose’ was happiest living among bowlfuls of potpourri and Holly Hobby dolls dressed in gingham.

3 Likes

In what way does that color represent marsala?

huh, there are marsala wines and I was thinking masala.

Give me some mud and I will paint with it the skin of Venus, if you leave to me the choice of the surroundings.

Eugène Delacroix

1 Like

Even if I liked the color, I would have to admire the word-crafting here!

2 Likes

So Pantone gets a bit of publicity. Some models and photographers get some work. I make this obvious comment. Tomorrow is another day and I’ll forget all about it.

wikipedia helpfully notes:
Not to be confused with Masala, a mixture of spices in South Asian cuisine.

1 Like

Lo, many years ago (but post belt-onions), when I first looked old enough to get into a nightclub, I drank nothing but Pernod & blackcurrant, made out with someone I detested, and was sick that exact colour on my new shoes. Aaaaah, memories…

9 Likes

I thought you liked me!

What a maroon I was…

8 Likes

Yeah, I wanted to make a joke about how it was invented when someone in Birmingham in the 70s added a can of tomato soup to the paint…

TIL…

1 Like

Not saying I’m a fan of the color, but it would look fabulous on me. Usually the fashion color of the year doesn’t work with my coloring. To me, that’s worth mentioning: this color is not for most northern Euro blondes. Even in the above photos, the blonde is NOT wearing it; only the darker humanoids around her. So, I don’t find this to be a total fail.

2 Likes

Throw some teal in there and party like it’s 1989.

2 Likes

The colors on that last image:

look strangely faded-- as if they appeared in a 1960s issue of National Geographic, or Life magazine. For a company that supposedly prides itself on accurate color, it’s an odd decision.

2 Likes

Well I quite like it. Then again, I like most colors. They’re so colorful.

1 Like

Perhaps they should have taken a page from Paul Laffoley and chosen “Peach”

1 Like

you mean, PMS 18-1438. “marsala” may be an evocative word, but designers are not going to be looking through their palettes for it.

and it’s not “dusty rose”, either – which became popular in the 1930s: http://images.myperfectcolor.com/repositories/images/colors/MPC00026314-2.jpg

even the 80s Nagel-esque color was different: http://www.arthistoryarchive.com/arthistory/contemporary/images/PatrickNagel-Rio.jpg

Looks to me like a heavy-handed HDR (High Dynamic Range) style image treatment, which tends to ‘flatten’ both shadows and highlights to show details of both at the same time, in a way that does not really happen naturally in human vision. It does tend to look a bit 60-70s faded sometimes, intentionally or otherwise.

1 Like

This isn’t the “fashion color of the year” it’s Pantone’s:

They basically provided standardized, proprietary colors for graphic design and print purposes. They get a numerical code designation in Pantones scheme and sometimes an actual color name (like Marsala), or uni-code numerical designation for web use. Though the last decade or so awareness/interest in it has risen. So we’ve been seeing a lot more use of Pantone’s colors in home goods, fabric and other areas. This is basically a marketing gimmick to feed into that trend, and likely has little to do with any recent trend for the color under discussion (though I did just see a Le Creuset dutch oven in this color and it was very nice).