Is this the inspiration for the Pantone "Colors of the Year"?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/12/is-this-the-inspiration-for-the-pantone-colors-of-the-year.html

9 Likes

You need to ask? Just look at it!

28 Likes

look at it.

13 Likes

What is Pantone’s new marketing slogan for $200.

10 Likes

I think to go hand-in-hand with Time’s ‘Person of the Year’, they should have gone with Tangerscream or Ragemango.

7 Likes

Keeping only marginally in mind that the pantone color numbering system, remains the EBCDIC of color numbering systems, and is properly abbreviated: PMS

3 Likes

All I know is that this color combination was all over our family living room ca. 1988. Gray Wink chair with yellow cover, glass table with gray and yellow legs… Those were the days.

2 Likes

Chicken dinner!

But seriously, an art student asked an established painter; What’s your secret?
The painter said use yellow and black (but gray works good too).
The student was disappointed, I presume.

The painter was chuckling to themselves (or should have been).

8 Likes

Q: Where do you get your ideas?
A: Schenectady.

8 Likes

Fading Proud Boys

I “just looked at it”, and I like his take. But to me these colors evoke roadside repair crews, or maybe the sanitation department. Definitely uniforms / color liveries for institutional vehicles and construction equipment.

2 Likes

Not yellow enough.

Funniest thing I’ve seen all week. If I’d’ve been drinking, I’d have spit.

I suppose most people who have worked with Pantone colors recognize both the spot-on use of the squares over the photo AND the taped-banana as a European artist’s supposed artwork earlier this year. My spouse only knew 1 of the 2 so, sadly, the joke had to be explained.

3 Likes

What an unbelievable coincidence. We have bananas in the house right now.

6 Likes

Just look at them!
Then eat them!

3 Likes

5 Likes

Ech… So it’s decided…the future is dystopian.
You can take your Ladies Finger and shove it.

I reckon you might even have some duct tape!

1 Like

Score one for the spouse, because you just explained BOTH to me.

1 Like

OK, I just tracked down a photo of this long formerly-blank wall alongside I-84 in northeast Portland.
pantone-bldg
Wow, the rectangles between the pilasters are the right proportions and everything. Even the windows enhance it. Someone’s cleverness is showing!

1 Like