This is Pantone's color of the year as "created" by Midjourney's AI

Originally published at: This is Pantone's color of the year as "created" by Midjourney's AI | Boing Boing

1 Like

cochineal. so… not vegan.
(no actual bugs were harmed in making this comment)

eta: yes, i see the words inspired by.

7 Likes

“…and then use technology to charge you for using certain colors in Photoshop.”

17 Likes

An unconventional take on a purplish-pink

9 Likes

What a swatch may look like: :black_small_square:

4 Likes

Yep. It’s that time of year for Pantone’s annual scam to get all in the graphics industry to buy new colorbooks.

6 Likes

from annals of “my 5yo could’ve done that” this is also the exact color my daughters (5 and 7) would’ve picked too, their respective favorite colors being purple and red. Magenta is often the compromise when they have to agree on a color for something. I’ll be happy to let them know they are both ahead of the AI curve and on-trend for 2022.

7 Likes

This is madness

6 Likes

human trend prognosticators

Yet more people qualifying for Ark B.

6 Likes

No, this is red.

8 Likes

No, THIS IS SPARTA

Jim Kelly Kick GIF by Warner Archive

6 Likes

I misread that as “Coachella, so… no Venga.” I thought, that is demonstrably untrue!

It is the complimentary colour to Curious Yellow.

5 Likes

Is that what we did with Faith Popcorn?

3 Likes

Reference was lost on me. Looked her up.

identified such sweeping societal movements as Cocooning, AtmosFear, Anchoring, 99 Lives, Icon Toppling, and Vigilante Consumer.

Definitely should be on Ark B.

3 Likes

She is also partially responsible for crimes against humanity like bottled water

2 Likes

Of course the joke in Adams’ work was sending out an ark carrying off all those people with “useless” jobs ended up biting the Golgafrinchams in the end because one of those jobs was “telephone sanitizer” and their planet was hit by a pandemic spread by use of shared payphones.

2 Likes

I may have just put some unauthorized bread in my toaster, but this looks like a flat black to me.

/since @Brainspore 's link use doesn’t seem to be popping for me at least…

2 Likes

… so is “Pantone 18-1750” different from the RGB image on my screen in any meaningful way

or this all like selling an NFT of the number two

3 Likes

In theory, Pantone isn’t just the RGB value, but the pigment and binder formulation, so when printed it will also include aspects like print thickness, gloss, and colorfastness.

That way, even with the same pigment, they can change the binder and get a different Pantone number because it will have different printing characteristics, and look different on the page. Also, the Pantone books have coated and uncoated, because once printed, a protective layer will give the colour different characteristics, just as varnish will do to a painting.

5 Likes

Newbie kindergartener as he scribbles away using a Viva Magenta Crayola: “I feel…galvanized! My creative forces have been invoked, fortifying my inner strength! I’m tired. Is it nap time?”

6 Likes