Andor's big heist episode

yeah “Quadpaw” made me mis-swallow my sangria a bit… “Oh why not Tetramits!?” snarked i to no one in particular.

anyway, it remains one of the best Star Wars video series to date. nice and crusty.

2 Likes

I liked this episode. High stakes tension. I sorta thought the locals were going to revolt and throw a wrench into the works. Of course there were setbacks along the way. Had to rewind to see what happened to the Lieutenant.

After the episode, I saw there was a Lego Halloween special from last year, so I watched that. There was a part where they were telling the plight of Darth Maul, and Poe was like, “Wait, he was cut in half and then put back together by witches with robot legs? Is anyone buying this?”

(Other characters) “Tell us more! Does he take his legs off to sleep at night?”

Re: The Emperor, The Dark Horse Comics “Dark Empire”, the first Star Wars comics since the Marvel run ended, brought back the Emperor via cloning and transferring his spirit via the force. It was something he had done multiple times, as the Dark Side will ravish the body. It made sense and we ate that shit up.

2 Likes

I actually thought that blowing up the dam, and killing all the pilgrims was going to be part of their escape plan. Acceptable losses for the greater good and all that. Vel Sartha was being cagey about what her part was going to be in the plan, and Cassian thought that they were not going to get very far in their transport. Using the destruction to mask the theft could mean that the empire wasn’t even looking for them. Showing us the pilgrims and their anti-empire stance played into the emotional beat of just how terrible “collateral damage.” is. And we KNOW that in later days Cassian is perfectly willing to kill people (not just faceless mooks) for the cause. This could have been where it started. Perhaps that was too dark for Disney. I also predicted that Nemik would die, so I’m 1 for 2.

1 Like

OH man, that is dark… and actually probably a realistic story-line in the real world. It is a little too dark for Star Wars, IMO.

Andor is a complicated hero, we have seen him kill with little hesitation. But it was focused, concise violence. I don’t think he would blow up a damn and kill a bunch of people to save his skin. Probably.

1 Like

Oh I don’t think HE would as his character has currently developed so far. But there are plenty of dedicated revolutionaries that would. I could picture him being shocked and angry the first time it happened.

1 Like

this whole thing hadn’t occurred to me. i definitely considered that the locals were planning their own uprising, but yikes, not this. i definitely do not think he would be on board with it, but that others would be.

Me neither. But it would explain why she was being cagey about where SHE was going to be during the heist. True believers are terrifyingly capable of committing atrocities in the name of the greater good.

2 Likes

People will hate me for saying this , (and just MY opinion), but barring a few stumbles, this series is the best live action Star Wars realization since the original Trilogy. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed most of the “feel” of Mandalorian, and Rogue One had -some- goodness, but Andor took what was good simmering exposition (Bad Batch), and dark managing bureaucracy (Rogue One), and turned that up three notches with a sprinkle of odd fantastical comic book suspension of disbelief from Valerian and Laureline… IMO Best tension, best story telling, intensional subtleties, etc. go to Andor. Nice to be back in the “entertainment zone” after mostly being in the “ok we’re back in nostalgia grabbing, time waster territory”.

I’ll take a seat and hear other opinions…

Part of that may be the format of the show, which allows for a different kind of storytelling than a movie like Rogue One. They had the luxury of several episodes where relatively little happened in order to set the mood and do a slow burn kind of plotline for a more satisfying payoff when the heist finally happens.

It really is something that modern streaming TV has freed up storytellers with those kind of options and still have production values on par with big-budget movies from just a few tears ago.

1 Like

the idea, i think, is that it’s the words in the manifesto that will have changed him.

that was my thinking too. there was a line from imperial dude, approximately - the old guys cause the most trouble - which cut almost immediately to gandalf, so they were definitely hinting that.

it’s rare these days to have guns from chekhov lying around and never fired ( add to that some speeders sitting in the background nobody used ) - maybe it was intended to add to the tension of the scene. unlike most heists, we viewers weren’t privy to the details of the plan in advance, so everything was in uncharted, changeable territory

i really liked it. they’re getting to make a han that the solo movie and the postquels ruined ( for me )

i assumed that this was the last episode of the season, and so i was going to complain about them never mentioning his missing sister again or explaining why they spent so long with kyle maclachlan - but apparently we’re only halfway through

i guess i can only complain that they left out the next episode hook for… reasons?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.