Angeleños boycott Langer's Deli after owner kicks out queer couple

Except that: he obviously made it clear they weren’t welcome there (whether or not he actually said, “Get out of here now or I’m calling the cops”), and he doesn’t do that with hetero couples.

4 Likes

Yeah: the total lack of hetero couples coming forward who also fell afoul of his “policy.”

8 Likes

Does the local pronunciation of “ge” follow English or Spanish rules?

I’ve eaten there. It’s a corned beef and NY-Style cheesecake wonderland. Too bad there’s a jerk running the place.

1 Like

A common policy lingering from the 90’s and intended to target or bar African American men. This isn’t “old man stuff”.

7 Likes

Complex question… I grew up hearing the range from “Loss An-Jealous” and “Loss An-Gel-Ease” to “Los Hang-Aleese” and even “Loss Angle-Us”.

I usually go for “Ellay.”

1 Like

Whether it was a peck or full-on snog, who gives a crap. Still shouldn’t be kicked out. If it makes you uncomfortable, look away (and mind your own business!).

3 Likes

He is not “racist,” he just wants to be mindful of other people who are uncomfortable with interracial couples.

rolls eyes emoji

3 Likes

I dunno. Sounds like assumption to me. That you don’t know about it being enforced on hetero people doesn’t mean it’s not.
You say it’s clear that isn’t not enforced and your proof is that you haven’t been informed that is was.

1 Like

I sometimes stop at Langer’s when I’m in downtown L.A. Until the owner makes a public apology to this couple and makes good on his treatment of them, I won’t be going back there.

Also, the owner should keep in mind that the Xtianists won’t be turning out to support him like they did for his fellow bigot at Chick-Fil-A.

5 Likes

Lived in a LA suburb for my formative years, and I always heard “Loss An-Jealous” from almost everybody who didn’t speak Spanish, and “Lohs An-Hell-ess” from folks whose primary language was Spanish. (somewhere a linguist is crying due to my bad attempts at communicating sounds)

So “An-Hell-enyos” with the n with the tilde eh?

2 Likes

People love to chime in on public discussions. The lack of someone chiming in to say “yeah, we’re a straight couple and he told us to stop kissing/get out” isn’t cast-iron proof, but it is something you can use to tune your inference.

1 Like

Ann-Gel-lean-oh

3 Likes

My guess is that it’s the yarmulke wearing patrons he is “protecting.” Religion as an excuse for discrimination is ironic yet common.

2 Likes

Especially with this religion. But he’s probably so blind to the history that he’ll post a “No Dogs or Gays Allowed” sign.

3 Likes

Argh! Forgot that one.

I prefer “La gente del Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula”…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.