Angry men stamp their adorable little feet after Marines degender job titles

BoatyMcBoatFucker?

4 Likes

The only series of films/TV show that I know of where Sean Bean survived all the way from beginning to end.

3 Likes

Yeah, my mom came back with TB that didn’t present until one month after she married my dad. The first two years of their marriage they lived apart because my mom had to stay in a hospital in the Valley.

My dad, who enlisted in the Navy at 17, may have had a little rougher time as a tail gunner. The only story I know about is when his plane was attacked by a kamikaze just after they returned to the ship. He was supposed to be clearing out his gear but stopped to chat with someone. The story wasn’t so much about the event as it was about procrastination being good.

2 Likes

Partly out of awe of that generation, I did research on related studies at university. But It was not until I retired from the military that my Dad and Father in Law started telling me stories. Not that any of my experiences could compare in any way to theirs. I just think it got to the point that they felt that at least I could understand the language and the facts of the story, and my later experiences might allow me to add nuance to start to really understand their experiences, as much as it will ever be possible to do so. I have also interviewed hundreds of people on all sides of WW2 about their experiences, as part of my thesis. I had a lifelong desire to understand the Holocaust, so I spoke with many people on all sides of the issue. Some of them, hearing my accent and name, spoke more directly about things than the would if they had known more about my origins. I also interviewed people on the Japanese side, including Japanese veterans of the island sieges, Japanese civilians on Saipan and Okinawa, and foreign workers. my research subject was bunker construction, and the processes and materials involved. Also how the expected use of fortifications compared to actual use. But in between those details, there were some human stories that were heartbreaking.

4 Likes

He doesn’t die in The Martian! Although he does end up fired from NASA (spoiler?).

4 Likes

True. But I didn’t want to spoil that part. But then again The Martian is already on cable. Everyone has seen it by now.

There are a ton of interesting stories about that generation of my family and in-laws. Most of them seem to come out after someone passes away*.

About 20 years ago I found while administrating the estate of a great-aunt that she was receiving money from the German government because her late husband was a German citizen who survived Dachau.(The Nazis couldn’t kill him, but an industrial accident in NYC’s Garment district did!).

I had another distant uncle on the same side of the family, a German Jew, in the 1930’s who sold all of his possessions to book passage to Shanghai through the Japanese consulate (see the Fugu Plan). He then made his way to Kobe, which had a rather large expat population and eventually to San Francisco, prior to 12/7/41. Again, didn’t know about this until after he passed.

My wife is Japanese. Her parents were adolescents living in the Osaka metropolitan area when the war ended. Let me just say, if you have seen “Grave of the Fireflies”. Much of what is depicted is understated.

My wife’s paternal grandfather was an academic who managed to dodge the draft by intentionally ruining his eyesight, reading candle light. Her maternal grandfather served in China. The Asian theater equivalent of the Eastern Front in terms of atrocity. But he managed to wrangle a position running a factory in Korea before the war’s end. It is strongly implied by my mother in law that the labor used was “involuntary” to say the least.

*My own grandfathers, one was too old for the draft and the other was a prison camp guard in upstate NY guarding German POWs.(he said they were always so polite)

5 Likes

A LITTLE tougher as a tail gunner?

About the only job that’s worse is ball gunner. Does not diminish one wit wht your mom did just because someone had a harder row to sow.

1 Like

I should mention that I used tail gunner as generic. I honestly don’t remember which type of plane he was on, and whether it had a ball, turret, nose, or tail guns.

3 Likes

Please, no one kill me for this

15 Likes

I am shocked and disappointed that Navy personnel haven’t adopted “Boatfucker” as the informal title.

6 Likes

I have a hunch they just put a couple of extras in those getups back in season 1 so they’d have plausible deniability when people inevitably started complaining that Troi’s costume was sexist.

2 Likes

the problem is even that
 thing is still regulation uniform
 just cut way the hell down. Troi’s cheerleader outfit wasn’t even department colors.

I’m talking about her outfit from season 1, when they were emphasizing legs over cleavage.

5 Likes

I recently did a lot of research into these costumes (because, nerd), and apparently the women’s TNG jumpsuits had a substantial padded bra inside. Like, Marina Sirtis said she’d take her outfit off at the end of the day and be like “where’d my boobs go?”

There’s a story that they did the same to Kate Mulgrew’s outfit for Voyager, and that she ripped it out and refused to wear it.

After Season 3 of TNG, they changed the uniforms to the nicer two-piece ones, but the women still got jumpsuits. Apparently the producers wanted the women to still be “sexy” but the costume designer was like “that’s stupid, this is the future” so the jumpsuits were a compromise.

10 Likes

Marina Sirtis talks about Deanna Troi and the inverse relation between cleavage and brains in TNG

7 Likes

From that link.

So then we got to season six, and there was the episode “Chain of Command” where we were trying out the new captain, Captain Jellico (just in case Patrick wanted too much money for next season, we were auditioning other captains), and he said to Troi “Go put on a uniform”. And lo and behold, there was one in her closet. So I put it on, and by then I was skinny, and the director and all the producers were like “she looks good in that, why wasn’t she been wearing that for the last six years?”

I think this is supposed to be a joke, but I haven’t watched TNG in many years.

3 Likes

Oooh yeeeaa that thing. Those uniforms in general looked too light weight really.

And i liked Troi in a standard issue uniform. Trousers and all. She looked
 Proper. A respectable crewmember as opposed to bridge bunny.

7 Likes

True hardcore soldiers, regardless of gender, wear a skirt

A number of authors state that the regiment was given the nickname “Ladies from Hell” (“Die Damen aus der Hölle”) by German troops, allegedly on account of their kilts and fighting qualities.

1 Like

The first season of TNG was really trying too hard to copy the formula of TOS. I think the miniskirts and go-go boots were one symptom of that.

5 Likes