Animal chiropractor adjusts giraffes and other animals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/14/animal-chiropractor-adjusts-giraffes-and-other-animals.html

3 Likes

Chiropractic is at best nonsense that can provide some placebo relief, and at worse dangerous practices that can damage people permanently. And that’s on humans. Doing this stuff on animals is complete and utter nonsense.

It is absolutely not based on science, and its founding principles are complete quackery.

26 Likes

Like to see this quack attempt to do this to a hyena :rofl:

2 Likes

Which board, specifically, has the power to certify animal chiropractic?

I mean, I can create my own board to hand out whatever quack certifications I want.

13 Likes

16 Likes

He’s probably duck qualified.

4 Likes

“Now when I do this you may hear a little quack”

11 Likes

Rand Paul would be happy to advise on this.

Pop Tv Laughing GIF by Schitt's Creek

If your website has to say “I’m not a quack”… you just might be a quack.

2 Likes

Deaths after chiropractic: a review of published cases

E Ernst. Int J Clin Pract. 2010 Jul.

Show details

Cite

Abstract

Objective: The aim of this study was to summarise all cases in which chiropractic spinal manipulation was followed by death.

Design: This study is a systematic review of case reports.

Methods: Literature searches in four electronic databases with no restrictions of time or language.

Main outcome measure: Death.

Results: Twenty six fatalities were published in the medical literature and many more might have remained unpublished. The alleged pathology usually was a vascular accident involving the dissection of a vertebral artery.

Conclusion: Numerous deaths have occurred after chiropractic manipulations. The risks of this treatment by far outweigh its benefit.

14 Likes

Internal decapitation. Such a lovely image.

1 Like

There were pictures?

Still - it beat’s pancreatic cancer.

1 Like

Sorry, I just meant mental image of the term “internal decapitation,” which is one of the common injuries or deaths of the kind your article was describing.

Anything that chiropractors do that is legitimate can probably be better done by a D.O. who specializes in musculoskeletal issues, and they are actual doctors. And stay far away from any chiropractor who claims to be able to cure illnesses by manipulating your spine.

7 Likes

That claim is a helluva stretch even for creatures that don’t have 7-foot necks.

2 Likes

I have osteogenesis imperfecta. If I were to go to a chiropractor, I would be one of the dead people.

7 Likes

I don’t think this guy is fixing anything that my dog medbed isn’t curing already. /s

Citation, as they say, needed.

Ah, but you can replace placebo effects with simple self-delusion: “The treatment I believe in was definitely helpful for that animal, I’m sure!”

2 Likes

I tried chiropractic for a bad back, but sadly felt no relief and some of their manipulations scared me TBH, especially after reading about some of the side effects. The chiropractor wanted me to return for a series of treatments, but after the second one which still didn’t relieve any pain, I decided that it wasn’t my thing. OTOH, now I can crack my upper thoracic at will.

I found relief for lower back issues after a good amount of chiro appointments, but I would also very much agree it’s pseudscience at best.

I also had neck issues that developed suspiciously right after a chiro appointment, which is the last one I went to.

… animal chiropractor adjusting a giraffe

7 Likes