Watch animals getting chiropractic adjustments

Originally published at: Watch animals getting chiropractic adjustments | Boing Boing

1 Like

What a sad scam.

17 Likes

BJ Palmer (one of the progenitors of chiropractic) once killed an elephant by trying to “adjust” its spine with some 2x4s and a sledge hammer. Woo hoo! (With a decided emphasis on the “woo”.)

12 Likes

Palmer

Chiropractic

Name checks out

6 Likes
7 Likes

I have never heard of zoological chiropractic, but I have been on a personal crusade for years to keep infants out of their hands.

Pediatricians alarmed by chiropractic treatments for babies that ‘border on the fraudulent’ | National Post

(I would strongly object to the use of “border on” here)

A 2-Month-Old Infant Seriously Injured by Chiropractic Neck Adjustment | Science-Based Medicine (sciencebasedmedicine.org)

Baby’s Neck Broken by Chiropractor | RealClearScience

I know, I know, off topic, but like i said, personal crusade.

19 Likes

Gah! Seconds before me!

6 Likes

People completely suckered by the chiropractic scam and turned evangelical about it used to really bother me. Somewhere in the intervening decades I stopped caring. No real point here, just noticing my own ambivalence I guess. I’m an “ ok good luck with that” person now.

2 Likes

Those poor animals. At least humans are consenting to participate in dangerous bullshit. The animals are not. That man should be charged with animal cruelty.

9 Likes

I’m an “ ok good luck with that” person now.

Yeah, yeah, it’s all free choice till someone has a stroke.

6 Likes

Just give them a good massage. None of the cracks, which may be the sound of something being damaged…

1 Like

Comment below transforms comment above to ‘on topic’. :slightly_smiling_face: All kidding aside, as far as pets or infants go, both fall under “especially egregious scam Chiropractics”, and we’re all here to learn and helpfully inform, so it’s all good.

7 Likes

I considered wading into the debate in the forum and was nervous. I load the page and lo and behold, everyones’ comments are evidence-based (so far)! Pleasantly surprised. Good job Boingboing community.

10 Likes

Maybe check in more often? Being pleasantly surprised could become an everyday event.

6 Likes

I had a chiropractor help me with back pain due to scoliosis when I was a teen. Of course, it didn’t cure the scoliosis (or anything else for that matter), but the chiropractor never claimed that it would and the treatment did help with the back pain.

I think that chiropractors can be helpful to mitigate specific types of pain related to sports injuries, etc. Of course, anyone who claims to be able to more is a charlatan.

6 Likes

in any case it gets harder to argue that the third, or fourth, or fifth stroke is freely chosen

3 Likes

Indeed, even something like Reiki would have the intended effect of reducing the stress on the pet owner’s bank account without actually injuring the animal.

I am rarely, if ever, disappointed by the comments.

2 Likes

Is/are any chiropractics not a scam?

I’m asking seriously. I know several people who swear by regular chiropractic sessions, mostly for an otherwise sore back. I worry for them, but a couple of folks I know have been doing it for many years.

4 Likes

Indeed, after a couple of years of “treatment”, you’ve got to wonder about its efficacy, right? I mean, I’m not saying that Chiropractors are as bad as the Sacklers, when it comes to parasitic-medicine; but they certainly rank with mediums, as harmful con-artists preying off the desperate, in my opinion.

3 Likes

If they’re known to be such absolute quacks and con artists, I wonder why so many doctors and insurance companies are fine with patient referrals to them. You’d think the latter especially would refuse.

4 Likes