Another cover songs thread!

I’m still on my deconstructions kick. Here’s the slightly inexplicable UK hit, “Together in Electric Dreams,” by Philip Oakey (of Human League fame) and Giorgio Moroder (!!!). It was the original theme for the quirky AI love story and box-office bomb Electric Dreams, and reached number 3 on the UK charts.

Lali Puna did a cover for a Human League retrospective cover album. I daresay it captures the theme and mood of something called “Together in Electric Dreams” better than the original, as well as being overall more enjoyable and less tedious:

1 Like

The original:

And No Doubt’s cover:

1 Like

yes and there are no other versions of that song. none. anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong.

1 Like

Cool! Good to know I got it right first time!

2 Likes

Public Enemy original:

Tricky (with Martina Topley-Bird on vocals):

5 Likes

Valerie, originally by the Zutons:

Covered by Amy Winehouse:

And tho not a one-to-one cover, maybe close enough? Stevie Wonder:

And Coolio:

2 Likes

Two originals:

Lou Reed, Sweet Jane

Joan Armatrading, Love and Affection

One cover:

Two Nice Girls, Sweet Jane (With Affection)

4 Likes

Given that its Saint Patrick’s day on Sunday, I give you a few renditions of “Whiskey in the Jar”. The Dubliners:

And Thin Lizzy:

And after thin Lizzy nobody ever recorded the song again.

2 Likes

Nothing compares 2 U:

And Shuhada’ Davitt’s version (as Sinéad O Connor).

2 Likes

I think “covers that are better known than the original” would be a fun category.

2 Likes

Article about the original recording of “Istanbul,” and the many performers who covered it, including of course They Might be Giants:

1 Like

One I had forgot about till I was reminded just now thanks to the sad news about Dick Dale…
Probably my favorite version of Pipeline.

2 Likes

Goth* meets Country?

* Not actually Goth.

(ETA original.)

2 Likes

You (or andrew eldridge rather) should tell all the goths that! :wink:

2 Likes

1 Like

Dededededeeded dododdoddoddddo dededdeddde dododododod doooooo-AHY

The original by Eurythmics

And Marilyn Manson’s cover version from “Smells like Children”

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.