Another man filmed keying a Tesla, by the Tesla

Thanks for the prewarning. :wink:

1 Like

This is the same here in Italy, because road are narrower. Some people need pickups but you can guess immediately if is actually used by a douche or by people that actually needs it.

That actually lowers the power of the engine, because modern diesels are working better with a lean mix, that unfortunately makes NOx skyroket. Read Dieselgate for more information.

5 Likes

Not that I’m in favor of vandalism but do just people not use eggs and baloney* anymore?

Also with today’s tech, it seems like you could have drones throwing/dropping the eggs for you.

Just saying.

*The acidity in bologna will wreak havoc on a car’s paint job, especially in hot weather.

5 Likes

Farmers sometimes don’t have pickups. Here the favourite car they use is the old Fiat Panda 141A.
Besides the 4WD version is quite good in off road terrains.

4 Likes

I certainly would when possible, but given the circumstances I describe it’s difficult. Beforehand his front plate is obscured by being all the way up my own car’s exhaust system (and that part is so common I’d spend all my time filing reports anyway), and afterwards he’s getting away behind a literal smokescreen.

2 Likes

Because they were actors? We’ve been fantasizing about these ideas forever. Personally, I think there’s a lot of Chicken Little going on when discussing AI. If we ever get anywhere near the kind of AI shown in sci-fi short films (doubtful), it’ll take decades. And it all falls apart as soon as it becomes a threat. Humans are good at destroying machines.

Only at BoingBoing would an article about someone keying a car lead to discussions about environmentalism and the coming robot apocalypse. This place is great.

5 Likes

Sounds like a possible dashcam use case, perhaps.

1 Like

I feel like “people who follow the news” and “people who key strangers’ cars” are two circles that don’t overlap in the venn diagram.

4 Likes

Yeah, that just hasn’t bubbled to the top of my list of expenditures yet. It probably ought to be a higher priority than I’ve made it.

2 Likes

I work in Calgary, and live in a small town just outside. Aside from the issues mentioned previously it’s mostly a pretty good place. The company I work for has an office in Denver though I’ve never visited.
Good things: Cultural events, sports, most people are pretty good nurtured (taking into account the always present ass-holes who stand out like a sore thumb), relatively low crime.
We do have our issues, things like opioid abuse is a concern, in rural areas police response is slow and we theft crime there is becoming a problem in some areas.
Racism is usually lower, or at least lower-key, though still a problem.
Years ago (not sure now) I’ve heard that the cost of living is about the same as Atlanta. Pretty good tech sector and despite what some would have you believe there is work outside of agriculture and fossil fuels.

Back to the farmers/trucks thing: I married into a family that has 110 year farming roots on both sides. My brother in law and his family are genuine, horseback, rodeo riding, salt of the earth farmers. Trucks? yes of course. I don’t have a truck. One would be handy every once in a while to move things like furniture or a load of dirt or rocks. But I see that as a failure to be more collective in our resources. The argument that every family needs a truck to move things two times a year makes no sense. A small pool of vehicles that the community can use makes more sense. But thats commie talk :slight_smile:

9 Likes

When I was in high school in the early 80s, hair mousse was an easily accessed and portable alternative to foodstuffs. You could write with it, too.

3 Likes

Why do you work for the institution which is directly creating the situation you’re so concerned about? I mean, it’s obviously hypocritical, but we’re all hypocritical, that’s not the issue. I mean more on a practical level: if you really wanted to stop conservatives and capitalists from operating a political machine with the overt goal of accelerating climate change, wouldn’t the most simple and effective action be to stop working for them?

Again, I know we’re all complicit every time we turn up our thermostat, etc. But it seems like spending the majority of your waking hours directly making money for the oil industry goes beyond mere complicity. Like, you’re probably contributing more to climate change denial than any other political agenda you’ve ever supported. I could imagine that the reason is something along the lines of “it would be hard to adjust my career path” or “my family needs the money”. But IT workers tend to make pretty good money (relatively speaking) and also have an easier time (relatively speaking) finding new jobs, since they’re in demand across all industries. Why do you choose to work for O&G specifically?

I know this could be read as a sanctimonious call-out, but I’m actually interested if you’d care to share your perspective.

Because if you live in Alberta, you pretty much work in Ag (ranching) or oil, one way or another. That’s just the reality of it.

6 Likes

A great question and one worth asking.
I knew I was opening myself up for criticism when I wrote that. I Still feel attacked (because I’m human and humans don’t like having their actions challenged :smiley: ) but I know its not personal.

I feel conflicted with the choice of where I contribute. I want to be the best world citizen I can be, and I don’t always meet my own or other’s expectations.

The money is good, (OK great). The company treats it’s employees and contractors well. From what I see, the company makes good effort to do the best it can environmentally.
So yes the benefits to my family are huge, that is part of the conflict. If it wasn’t so good for me personally, I would be re-evaluating for sure. I have a price.

However, I believe having more environmentally conscious, progressive people inside an organization does way more to influence behaviour than pressure from the outside. If I’m not in this position someone else would be, and maybe that person crude oil with baby seal chunks down the drain for kicks.

Oil and gas use isn’t going away in a flash. It will decline but likely never stop for lifetimes. I personally try to reduce my and my family’s use. I encourage energy and resource use when I can and when it makes sense. I support govt. policies that reduce our society’s reliance on non-renewable resources, even knowing long term that reduces the chance of being employed in the sector that I currently work in.
Close to what @MalevolentPixy stated, most business here are in Agricultural or O&G, or have positioned themselves to be adjacent to those. That is changing, slowly and hopefully that change continues.

I see a lot of ALL OR NOTHING! talk from both sides. Criticizing environmental activists because they still own a car or have taken a plane is just as ridiculous as demanding an immediate shutdown of all oil & gas wells and shuttering all fuel stations. I know we’ve gone past the time frame that small changes over the long term can save us. We need more done and done more quickly. Me not working where I do, would do less than what I do personally. That is the situation today. Tomorrow may be different.

There is an oil and gas market because people use oil and gas. Reduced demand for the product is the solution that works. Blocking the supply, unless you can do so world wide won’t work. Alternatives are needing to be invested in by govt and industry.

Short version:
Its good money, good work, good people.
Be the change you want to see.
Tomorrow might be different.
It’s sometimes hard to feel good about it.
The good for my family outweighs the other.
Its all a calculation, rational and emotional.

12 Likes

“If you aren’t keying the car, then you have nothing to worry about!”

My money is on famine and disease!

1 Like

However, being Canadian, he keyed “I’m sorry” into the side of the car.

2 Likes

It’s amazing the number of people who expect you to starve or leave the home or family you’ve known all your life, just for some form of ideological purity.

And realistically, those alternatives are going to be provided by many of the same companies currently in O&G. I already see it happening, now that our government has committed to enforcing the change.

Your average Albertan and/or Conservative may be in denial, but the higher ups in the industry know change is coming.

8 Likes

I’m not sure what model of Tesla this was, but those big pickup trucks go for USD $50-85k. This guy didn’t key the Tesla because of inequality…

7 Likes

holy crap - that is done intentionally??? wow. as a bmw owner I feel way less douche !

1 Like