Woman keys a Tesla, but the Tesla's watching

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/07/woman-keys-a-tesla-but-the-te.html

7 Likes

When the dusts settles. Be nice to do a cognitive autopsy profile thing on her. Why??? Is it her ? or she in a (suspects) right wing fox induced thought bubble. Hell, maybe her dog was run over by a Tesla and she has legit unacknowledged grievances. Or… “Dem tree-hugging, IT hipster coffee-drinking liberals are taking our guns+oil away” My thoughts, the action was outside her rational control hence conditioned.

12 Likes

My money would be that she either knows exactly who’s Tesla it is, and this was a way to get revenge on someone, or that this Tesla’s owner pissed her off in traffic (because let’s face it, neither Teslas nor their owners can really drive that great) and she followed it in and extracted her revenge.

Either that or she’s an ELF person who’s stuck in the '90s and doesn’t know what makes a Tesla special. :slight_smile:

(Edited to clarify: the snark against Teslas and their owners not driving great is an attempt at humor; not an actual dig. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Wait…what? This is a felony crime? $2000 worth of damage, ok…seems high, but it’s a Tesla, so maybe it just costs more.

I’m not defending the woman, but any time internet (mob) justice gets in the mix, I get concerned.

9 Likes

Was thinking that too. Hopefully (probably) it’s just a banal human story. Car, traffic, cut off, rage. Not the more exotic, Tesla, symbol, conditioned thought bubble attack. Profile now!!!

2 Likes

Nine cameras and no facial recognition?

3 Likes

It’s an option for the Chinese version.

14 Likes

Maybe the common law wife of a Bro-Truck owner.

9 Likes

Thinking that, forget about Sentry Mode. What about Profile Mode. Someone that hits all the markers comes near, a mild to strong electric current is switched on

3 Likes

I was thinking about it too. Luxury new car, maybe he “stole” the parking lot or the like, she got revenge, thinking to make a lesson.

2 Likes

Not optional,
It’s mandatory with direct dump to the Gov servers.
(It’s not even funny cause it’s actually true)

3 Likes

Looked like 3 or 4 panels, metallic paint means a full strip and respray, not out of the realms of possibility.

6 Likes

I find the Tesla’s cameras creepy but then again it was useful in this case. Either way i don’t know why anyone would key anyone’s car

2 Likes

I though BB didn’t like camera surveilance of public places. Stories like this are used to convince people that more cameras are always good.

1 Like

[quote=“Avery_Thorn, post:3, topic:152855”]
My money would be that she either knows exactly who’s Tesla it is, and this was a way to get revenge on someone, or that this Tesla’s owner pissed her off in traffic (because let’s face it, neither Teslas nor their owners can really drive that great) and she followed it in and extracted her revenge.[/quote]

That’s possible. Other possibilities are that she was in a bad mood and didn’t expect to get caught, or she’s angry at someone who has a similar-looking Tesla and it’s a case of mistaken identity.

2 Likes

Obligatory:

15 Likes

More like a drizzling of opinions ranging from “government surveillance is generally bad” to “private surveillance is an individual right”, with all the caveats, gotchas and circumstantial footnotes that might come into play. “Using your own camera to video assholes” is pretty popular about these parts though. Also: demanding that cops wear them.

Quite eager to hear an argument for “expectation of privacy when keying someone’s car in public” though.

20 Likes
10 Likes

Not Yet…

1 Like

“my lawyer and my insurance company both agree that you need to pay us to repaint the whole car”

4 Likes