Another woman trapped in a Tesla after its battery dies

The people indulging in victim-blaming in this thread are simply delightful. They seem lovely. /s

16 Likes

I Wonder Emma Stone GIF by Saturday Night Live

It’s INNOVATION, DUH!!! /s

Why didn’t that baby read the manual… /s

Are you questioning the need for pointless “innovation”!?! /s

Clearly, it’s all a test! /s

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Well, that’s bullshit. WTF are people thinking? The more I read about a tesla the more I think it’s a pile of shit.

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

Clearly, we’re all failing this technology and we get what we deserve… /s

Did you read the manual! /s

Did you read the thread before you posted this?

Thinking Patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Well, see, smart people who read the manual wouldn’t end up in any of those scenarios! /s

you're right seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Other cars that are high end status symbols aren’t designed so stupidly… You can at least easily open the fucking door on a high end escalade for example… This is next level dude-bro stupid shit.

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

18 Likes
10 Likes

Is the door release easy enough to figure out, or if not, is the manual an adequate mitigation? The answer is right in the headline – multiple people have gotten stuck, so no. It seems like a couple posters have decided to come back after years just to let everyone know they know nothing about designing for safety.

16 Likes

dyo reactions GIF by Dyo

Why didn’t they read the manual!!! /s

12 Likes

with the battery dead? If there is enough power to run AC, shouldn’t the doors open?

6 Likes

Why the hell didn’t they put the mechanical door release right on the armrest like every other car manufacturer??

3 Likes

Agreed. There’s a reason that (for example) the instructions on a fire extinguisher don’t read like “First enter your user code on the keypad …” but are “Point nozzle at fire. Squeeze trigger.”

Design safety-critical systems like a good Evil Overlord. Item 85:

I will not use any plan in which the final step is horribly complicated, e.g. “Align the 12 Stones of Power on the sacred altar then activate the medallion at the moment of total eclipse.” Instead it will be more along the lines of “Push the button.”

Item 23 also seems somewhat relevant:

I will keep a special cache of low-tech weapons and train my troops in their use. That way – even if the heroes manage to neutralize my power generator and/or render the standard-issue energy weapons useless – my troops will not be overrun by a handful of savages armed with spears and rocks.

IMO a better design (if a purely mechanical system is not an option) would be to have a separate battery (depending on how much juice is required, maybe just a couple of AAs) that’s not connected to the rest of the system until the main battery goes below that threshold. [That way it can’t be drained along with the main battery.] The main battery’s last action would be to connect it to the door locking and opening circuit. It would provide enough juice to open the doors and that’s it.

2 Likes

I’m getting tired of people blaming the “old folks” who don’t know how to use tech, who seem to have conveniently forgotten who invented and built that tech before they were born.

15 Likes

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Did you read the manual?

10 Likes

It’s not like it’s closing the door, jeez.

3 Likes

This is the standard tool used by fire departments to gain access to cars to rescue people: :axe:. I hope nest time the responding units save time and use this tool accordingly.

2 Likes

Needs stealing. Will do. :wink:

Really? I don’t think consumers asked for this or for assorted controls only being operable via a touch screen. When shown it, they all went "shiny shiny nice want" but they are not paid to think about the consequences of their purchase of someone else’s extremely bad design decisions.

I really do not think consumers can be blamed here. If Tesla had gone to market in the same timeframe, with physical knobs and switchgear instead of software and motors to operate everything, they’d probably have been just as successful and maybe more so without all the bad PR such design decisions result in.

There is little doubt that Tesla did disrupt the market but the ‘EV instead of ICE drivetrain’ approach alone might have done that. They certainly played a small part in making the other, mainstream manufacturers take the whole EV thing a mite more seriously.

The wider problem is that this Teslaism of ‘screens and software’ everywhere is assumed by the mainstream manufacturers to now be de rigeur if their own offerings are to be taken seriously by the punters. Quite how experienced vehicle engineers and designers allowed their marketing arms to get away with this may well be a future business school case study if the hoped-for backlash from consumer against the sort of shit that @Elmer talks about re the Kia rental.

Apparently not if @Elmer’s experience is typical.

Well, it seems they did, apparently. But one that does not drop the window - and is not labelled or designed sufficiently intuitively for the average user. It seems that the point is not where the mechanical door release is situated, it is that the main door release is an electronic release, not a mechanical one.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Griping about moderation, bias, et cetera

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

I guess you find fascists less objectionable… weird?

14 Likes

This.

You excellently sum up my now nearly 5 year experience with my Model 3. Very good car, but with a CEO who started bizarrely charging in about 2021 and who will keep me from doing business with them again.

2 Likes

Honestly this is Phoenix, so anytime from about May through October… it’s easily a death sentence to be trapped in a car where you can’t open the doors or the windows because it’s essentially a greenhouse that can hit over 100 inside pretty quickly.

10 Likes

That’s because it’s a parking brake. Your emergency brake is still foot operated. The parking brake is electric on a wide variety of other cars from well known manufacturers like: Ford, GM, and Toyota. The hand brake has not ever actually been an emergency brake, and the previous iteration which was a separate pedal was not modulatable, so you would lock up your rear wheels.

The terms “parking brake” and “emergency brake” are interchangeable for folks who are used to the hand brake serving both purposes.

And don’t tell Travis Pastrana that the e brake isn’t modulatable!!

drift drifting GIF

8 Likes

The “secret” door latch that’s so obvious I can’t get my father to NOT use it every time he gets out of the car? Yeah, sure. So trapped. Trapped in her own ignorance.

1 Like