Antarctica: Scientist stabs colleague who kept spoiling the endings of books for him

Well, we already KNOW engineers are messed up…

2 Likes

I don’t think he went far enough. Should have lured the guy out onto the ice with a bottle of vodka and walled him into an igloo. Then read The cask of Amontillado to him. Except the ending. Wouldn’t want to spoil it.

4 Likes

So it’s even less important to repeatedly specify that he’s a scientist because it goes without saying that everyone there is a scientist.

1 Like

A: “All work and no play makes Jack…”

B: “NO SPOILERS!”

6 Likes

Eh, only attempted murder, didn’t actually ice him.

4 Likes

Both those guys - you could read them like a book. Entirely predictable.

1 Like

And people who repeatedly spoil the ending of books/movies/TV series.

1 Like

The news editor in me jumps up and down in ecstasy at the minimalist, “just the facts man/ma’am” reporting in this post.

4 Likes

It’s easy to imagine going crazy when you are basically trapped by snow and cold weather. Fun fact: the indigenous people of Canada’s north have 9 different words for guy-who-should-shut-up-if-he-doesn’t-want-to-get-stabbed.

8 Likes

Since staying in Antarctica as a private citizen is probably out of reach, I wonder what it would be like to live here:

2 Likes

As far as I know that’s not the case - there are people there who do only practical work with no scientific component.

2 Likes

Them’s fighting words.

Now if only I had a knife…

4 Likes

A real engineer would use an adjustable spanner.

1 Like

4 Likes

Seriously boingboing? 54 comments on this post and I’m only the second to point out the stereotyping?

2 Likes

We were all silently condemning him. :wink:

3 Likes

There is a story, possibly apocryphal, of a gold rush prospector snowed in with a cabin mate that whistled the same tune monotonously, and killed him. At a trial by a jury of his peers, he was acqitted with a ruling of justifiable homicide.

I have a workmate that whistles irritatingly off key and loud; it’s a good thing I’m only around him 40 hours a week.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.