Anti-D&D video warns of satanic Dungeon Masters

I like how the players seem to be rolling to determine how far they get to move rather than to determine whether they hit with an attack or succeed a skill check.

2 Likes

Toll Trolls heat gaze is annoying, but not deadly. Add +4 to saving throw.

2 Likes

The only sacrificial use of younger siblings was that often their board games were raided so we had enough six-siders. And rarely a polly pocket might be used to sit in for a monster figurine.

2 Likes

I wanted to make sure this had been posted. Thank you.

I got caught up in that 80’s ‘D&D is a tool of Satan’ panic. Apparently I so endangered the vicar’s son’s immortal souls by DM’ing D&D games for them that I ended up having to get rid of all my Dungeons and Dragons stuff.

So we swapped to playing Traveller instead, which to my mind has a rather more amoral approach to role-playing — at least with my GM style. The vicars sons ended up stealing, lying and assassinating their way around the Imperium … D&D on the other hand forces the player to abide by a moral code and deal with the consequences of straying from it. But try arguing that when you’re a teen.

7 Likes

The applicable Chic Tract says it best!

Dark Dungeons

2 Likes

A friend of mine argues that ET is the most counter-culture film made by Speilberg. Why? 1) The government is the bad guy. 2) Elliot’s brother is shown playing D&D with his friends, in a time when D&D was “satanic.”

Of course the same people that said that D&D was satanic are the same people that said that a Magic 8 Ball is satanic because it “tells the future.”

2 Likes

That DM was pretty hardass. All mine made me do was sign a contract promising my firstborn to the Sidhe.

2 Likes

At best I can manage a Harrison Ford -type of smirk at this; back in the day these fuckers were out to destroy a hobby I love. Worse, back then, their main target (TSR) partially caved in due to this insane propaganda.

1 Like

The best DMs always seem to be the really nutty ones. Sigh. This makes me miss my old gaming group and being a sorcerer with the lousiest dex score in the history of the universe. It was a long running bit of hilarity that I got myself knocked unconscious just about every round through some absurd failure of a roll.

My Mom had a fear of my reading/playing D&D in the late 70’s. Akin too my grandmothers 1950/60’s paranoia of 1 billion Chinese running across the planet, each with a gun.

“I am now lord of the little people!”

2 Likes

Nice! Coincidentally, a friend of mine used to do a radio show in college and played this in the middle of a set (although I think he announced it either before or after the fact).

Too funny.

It’s true though! However, a +5 Sword of Holy Righteousness can be used to kill Satan, or at least put him back in hell until the next group of mind flayers inadvertently stumbles into our plane and re-awakens him.

1 Like

You probably burned the wrong figurines. You need to burn chaotic figures for demons. The lawful ones give you devils. The neutral ones just give you melted plastic. (See, I bet you thought that orc was a lot worse than he was. At least until you melted him.)

They were Ral Partha figurines, weren’t they? Everyone knows it’s the old Martian Metals figurines that had demons in them!

1 Like

Man, I miss Traveller. I don’t know no folks will play pen & paper stuff anymore. Goddamn internet.

The irony of the Chick Tracts is that they promote belief in the Occult since they depict it as actually having real magical power. In Sunday school, I was taught that the only way I could go to Hell is if I didn’t accept Jesus into my heart and ask him to forgive my sins. But then some lady at the church hands me these tracts and or makes me listen to Christian radio programs that claim that I can go to Hell for playing games or accidentally conjure demons by playing rock music or by reading the wrong books, such as fantasy novels written by Christian authors like Tolkien and Lewis.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.