Anti-paparazzi jacket

The EOS-M only offers 25600, and even that may be fairly grainy. It does look tiny, though.

Some long lens photographers like the larger bodies for balance reasons. Though handholding a 500mm 2.8 lens is tempting fate.

1 Like

That would be great for night safety while jogging or on a bicycle. Theyā€™d have to be blind not to see you.

Isnā€™t this exactly the material that Pharrellā€™s suit for the Grammy awards was made of? Didnā€™t seem very effective at rendering him invisible

1 Like

Yea, this thing is ridiculous. Friend of mine got one and he said heā€™s selling all his full frame Nikon bodies.

When you say ā€œlarger bodies for balance reasonsā€ with regards to this lens, weā€™re talking about a second person to rest it on, right? :smile:

4 Likes

That is impressive sensitivity! The graininess is to be expected. But for things like astrophotography or other applications where many grainy shots are taken and then stacked to less-grainy results. The noise can be even a friend as with such repeated data acquisition it can bring a bit or three more of resolution above the sensorā€™s own ADC.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what interns are for.

2 Likes

Works great, until they turn on the DRO setting on their cameras. Then, not so much.

Itā€™s nifty until I introduce my paparazzi laser flash that only illuminates the face of the jacket wearer.

2 Likes

I covered a jump suit in 3M Scotchlite transfer tape once, just to freak the mundanes while riding a bicycle around ( on the chest I emblazoned ā€œCan you see me now?ā€ )

Hella larger market, cyclists, than celebrities who will only buy one and not wear it anyway.

Got lots of complimentary catcalls, it was bright as hell but not blindingly so from behind a windshield, the only complaints were from people I shocked, not blinded.

I mean really, anti- paparazzi? Why not anti-asteroid or anti-MoleMan?

1 Like

This jacket is comprised of glass retro-reflectors. You guys are totally missing the potential:

THIS IS LITERALLY THE SAME MATERIAL

2 Likes

If you have a problem with paparazzi following you, then likely you will be able to afford more effective ways of hiding from them.

Everyone will have a need this jacket. For at least 15 minutes.

5 Likes

Well, I think you will see the jacket really well but everything else will be black ?

ā€¦ Because everyone else will use their flash.

http://www.provizsports.com/en_gb/proviz-reflective-cycling-jacket-high-visibility-cycling-jacket-reflect360 is also similar. Bit cheaper, but doesnā€™t have a hood.

Iā€™m an artist who has made work using this stuff 5 years ago. http://christiansievers.info/html/verkehrswacht.html

http://christiansievers.info/html/invertedscenes.html

Thereā€™s a double-edged side to all of this. This is what I wrote in 2009:
ā€œMy guess for the future: If anything promises to make you feel safer, you are sooner or later going to use it. High-visibility clothing will become even more ubiquitous. The current obsession with security is not likely to be reversed anytime soon.
I love seeing that hi-vis stuff, but I think, if it comes true, this predicted change in fashion will have some side effects. The adaptation of construction workersā€™ protective wear by cyclists and joggers is a constant reminder of the wearersā€™ concern to retain their physical integrity, and of the perceived threat that it might be violently altered. Iā€™ve taken to never cycling without a hi-visibility vest. Perversely, the result is that I donā€™t feel safer, but less safe. Hi-visibility wear screams ā€˜Here I am, leave me aloneā€™. The more visible the less approachable I become.ā€

1 Like

If it means less approachable by two tons of pissed-off steel at velocity differential, it may be actually an advantage.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.