Anti-piracy steam jets on cargo ships

Thanks for linking to that, it’s the first time I’ve heard of the Puckle gun! Nice design and engineering for the period, considering the limitations of what firing mechanisms were available at the time.
I can see steampunk RPG’ers getting very excited about something like this.
I let the video run on to the M34 Minigun, which I am familiar with, but I’ve never seen the actual mechanism explained, that was well worth a watch as well.
Great article all round, this is why I keep coming back to boingboing.

5 Likes

My first reaction to seeing the words “anti-piracy” are

NOT MY BIT TORRENTS!!!

5 Likes

Some things that never change:

• Pirates in small fast craft.
  • Military establishment preference for big manly guns.
  • Civilized rules going out the window when it comes to Islamophobia.
4 Likes

We actually use phosphoric acid for chasing rust stains.

2 Likes

Prop notion for some future, pre-steam punk alternative history sea adventure movie.

3 Likes

Some of that was discussed here with participation of someone who actually was a security guard on a cargo ship:

3 Likes

I get that the pirates are bad, this is all serious stuff. But I’ve seen videos with Russian guys on the ship almost having fun blasting the pirates away with automatic weapons. Not quite glee, but for sure they weren’t scared and certainly had a weapons advantage.

Shoot the engine or disable the boat somehow, but spraying the tender with lead veers into raw murder territory.

Ships that regularly sail waters played by pirates do this, in addition to having armed security on board.

1 Like

Several decades ago, my brother worked on large ships. They rigged firehoses as “deck sweepers” to wash boarders off.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.