Anti-vaxxers put dogs at high risk

Originally published at: Anti-vaxxers put dogs at high risk | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Oh My God Omg GIF by Schitt's Creek

16 Likes

As if anti-vaxxers weren’t horrible enough…

17 Likes

I mean, autism is a condition. These are diseases.

Angry Gi Joe GIF

13 Likes

Not just dogs.

Rabies is no joke in places where it’s poorly controlled.

11 Likes

The anti-vaccine movement has gathered a ton of momentum since the pandemic and shows no signs of dying down. It’s a shame that people are questioning what was considered miracle science simply because they haven’t seen what it was before.

The amount of anti-vax stuff on Spanish language social media is crazy. It’s completely packed with conspiracy theory stuff all the time now.

6 Likes

Ableism rears its ugly head yet again. Some people keep treating being neurodivergent as evil-bad or some kind of fatal condition rather than just being different. I really feel like screaming right now.

19 Likes

Wait until they try to board their pets or the local animal control takes them because they haven’t had the required shots.

6 Likes

I was under the impression that anti-vaxxers are still very much in the minority, so how do we get the majority of dog owners believing this nonsense? Are anti-vaxxers disproportionately more likely to have a dog?

4 Likes

I imagine a lot of them still believe in vaccines for people, just not for dogs. It’s incoherent, but that’s to be expected.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why this is meant to be so shocking. Maybe PETA would like this approach-- cf “Holocaust on your plate”, but COVID-19 contributed to so many deaths that one would think anti-vaccination ideology would die a painful and horrible death due to starvation and neglect. Yet in the face of preventable death, ant-vaccination thrives.

1 Like

As someone who worked as a veterinary technician for 25 underpaid goddam years I want to punch these dumbasses in the crotch, but I also am sadly not surprised. I worked for a vet who courted the woo-susceptible for easy money, selling flower essences, Chinese herbs, homeopathic pills, and by the time I quit in disgust, fucking saline with “special molecules”, stringing owners along with weekly “therapy” for their cancer-ridden, dying pets.

Science-denying morons are a profitable market, if you don’t give a shit about anyone else, the world, or the future. Or the animals. Ironically, several of those “alternative medicines” were clearly pyramid schemes to boot, exploiting the veterinarian herself.

Rabies is horrible. Distemper is horrible. Parvovirus is horrible. These fucking idiots don’t know the hell they will unleash, on their own pets and every other animal in the vicinity.

Society can’t afford to let all these libertarian morons learn every fucking lesson of science from the past 500? 1000? years for themselves, because the collateral damage is pandemic, plague and mass death.

17 Likes

What The Wtf GIF by MIA GLADSTONE

Are there bodies in states that certify vets, cause that seems like he was engaging in some deep fraud there…

10 Likes

When we boarded our dog who was afraid of lightning, the tech recommended a homeopathic remedy that was meant for lightning. She said she ignored the directions of a drop in a bowl of water and gave the dog a good squirt of it.

I thought there was no way that would work, it was after all homeopathic. Then I looked at the ingredients.Yeah the eyedropper full of it could work, at least for small dogs. 20% alcohol. It’d be a whole lot cheaper to get some vodka though.

Needless to say, we don’t use that place any more after that.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.