Anti-Vaxxers successfully bring back measles and whooping cough

Me too!

What if I smoke around someone’s children?

What if I decide to make meth next door to a preschool?

Wheres your line there?

9 Likes

as an FYI…in the State of NH, you do not need to have Insurance to drive an automobile

1 Like

Sure. Pass that law. And then enforce it like we do the others you listed… And we still won’t have herd immunity.

1 Like

Hey, I hear polio is awesome. Can’t wait for that to make a comeback too.

12 Likes

Telling women that their insurance won’t cover birth control? Or telling them that they must carry their fetus to term?

We already force these values on women all the time. When society backs off of my right to determine my own reproductive rights, then (and maybe then) I will consider the anti-vaccine movement’s rights to keep government out/off of their children’s body.

16 Likes

Our rights are ascribed to us by our society; What our society deems useful is the law of the land.
The right to procreate, medical decisions, who benefits from what.
Many other things.

All out of the hands of the individual. Even the so called “leadership” caste is programmed to be a certain way, a certain type of person.

But knowing this only goes so far towards helping you. What else can you do? migrate to less ill areas, for one. Keep up on your vaccines and stay healthy.
And of course, see if you can send your kids to a “vaccine required” school.

4 Likes

I bet they don’t even allow pets at Disneyland, except service animals, and cat-like service animals must be few and far between, by the cats I’ve met anyway.

2 Likes

Where are you from, geographically? Your assertion is backwards from how the US is set up to operate.

1 Like

Cripes, the first polio vaccines (Salk and Sabin) were developed in my lifetime (by the skin of my teeth - Salk developed his when I was one). Iron lungs were still in use through my childhood; I’ve known plenty of people with post-polio syndrome.

By the same token, we didn’t have the MMRV vaccine available (nor, for that matter, its components), and I caught them all - mumps, measles, rubella and chickenpox - as did most of the kids I knew. I caught the rubella when I was of working age, and one of the women at work was pregnant: I stayed home, and mercifully she dodged that bullet. I missed pertussis, thank G-d.

We have people who don’t believe in herd immunity? These things were common as dirt in my childhood; they aren’t now. Coinky-dink? I think not.

25 Likes

When we travel to the USA with our dogs I have to bring proof of rabies vaccinations. And I do. And the only state that ever asked for them was Massachusetts. But I still vaccinate my pets because a) I don’t want then to get rabies and b) I don’t want them to GIVE anyone rabies because I’m not an asshole.

15 Likes

They don’t even have a DisneyLand in Massachusetts tho.

3 Likes

Aaaah! But not 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 side effects. Sounds risky.

Coming from a skull smoking a cigarette, I weirdly approve of this comment.

Somehow, we’ve had various mandatory vaccination schemes in numerous countries for a long time without the utter collapse of liberty. Statistically, most of your liberty disappears because your country is either fighting a war or because it’s not good for business. Vaccinations seem to have little effect. It’s like complaining a minnow licked your toe while you bleed to death out of a gaping shark bite. Get real.

30 Likes

How do you mean, “set up to operate”? Why do you think this?
Because you vote into authority multiple tiers of electors?
Even if you voted on laws, even put forward those laws individually and directly, you yourself would still be subject to the whims and values of your fellow voters, and thus your society.
(not to mention the million other ways we are all managed by society)

On the other hand, should one individual write all of the laws, that person is still produced by their society, carrying it’s truths and untruths, it’s influence and goals in the form of his/her personality, development and biology.

1 Like

Here you demonstrate that you fundamentally do not understand the issue.

18 Likes

Waiting for someone to chime in with a snarky “And look, you survived!” thus completely missing the point…

Those could not have been pleasant childhood memories. Yikes. I only went through chickenpox and that sucked enough.

9 Likes

Not how it works. You really should stop posting and start reading.

Vaccines aren’t always effective so a significant part of their overall efficacy is that the diseases aren’t present in the community, therefore those who are still susceptible are protected.

Once you lose that critical mass of of immunity you expose more of these unprotected individuals and the disease spreads, and at a certain point you lose much of the benefit of vaccination.

That is exactly what is being described here with measles and whooping cough, and children and babies are dying.

Particularly with whooping cough, babies are susceptible to it and can’t be vaccinated against it until a certain age.

You just have no point here.

19 Likes

I got whooping cough as a kid. Before I was old enough to have had the full course of vaccines.

I can remember my vision fading out as I gasped for air. Fortunately, my parents loved me enough to put their faith to one side, and took me to a doctor where I was given antibiotics and got better.

Some of these antivaxxer stories are so… They outrage me. Like the story of Heather Dexter who’s hubris and unfounded faith in witchdoctor methods nearly led her children to the grave. It blows my mind the state didn’t take her children from her. She’s demonstrated that she’d rather they die than admit a medical emergency is beyond her “abilities” as a naturopath.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-horrible-consequences-of-seeking-natural-immunity-naturopathy-and-whooping-cough/

13 Likes

I think of our parents - I caught the mumps at my cousins’ country place at Parry Sound, and there were at least 4 of the 7 kids down with them. That would have been more harrowing to my parents and aunt and uncle than it was to me - I tend very healthy, and I recovered reasonably quickly. My little brother, however, was a very sickly child.

And that, of course, is the point: those of us with good constitutions will probably survive quite handily (although I say “probably” advisedly), but not all kids are robust that way, and even robust kids can get dinged fatally if the circumstances work against them.

5 Likes

Here’s my idea that preserves the freedom of anti-vaxxers to be idiots that just don’t understand medicine or physiology (or toxicology, or immunology, or probably most -ologies…).

You are perfectly free to not be vaccinated. Your choice to do so however means that you are not welcome in a free society that chooses not to risk otherwise preventable horrible diseases. We can quarantine them to, I dunno, Madagascar seems like a good choice (at the very least based on that damned Pandemic game).

You’re perfectly welcome to not use common sense, and we have the right to protect our herd, and particularly those who would be willing, but for medical reasons can’t be vaccinated.
(and yes, “religious exemption” people get to go live with the AyeAye’s as well).

13 Likes