Anti-Voting Propaganda Discussion

I can respect your calculus for voting for Biden in 2020, though I wholeheartedly disagree. I remember his full-throated support for the Iraq war and the 1994 Crime Bill. There was no way in hell I was casting a vote for the guy.

At the same time, I can consider the calculus of someone who voted for Trump. To be sure, some people gleaned on his soft-shoe racist act. Most people who voted for him (who weren’t Republican) felt that the Democrats had abandoned them long ago and didn’t see or care about their concerns. And they weren’t entirely wrong about that - remember Clinton dismissing ‘flyover country’?

I don’t believe that Trump is the modern harbinger of the neo-fascist state. I didn’t believe things would really change if Biden won instead of Trump. They’d feel better in some indiscriminate way, but Biden (over Sanders) meant a return to normal that created the conditions that got Trump elected in the first place.

Democrats never ask why people would vote for someone like Trump - they’re blind to their own failures to win independents. Rather than blame their wholesale abandonment of the working class (mostly independent), they blame them for being to stupid for not realizing their truth.

Then someone like Trump comes in, and diehard Republicans love him. (But to be honest, most of them were going to vote for anyone with an (R) after their name.)

And Democrats are no different. Imagine if Trump had remained a Democrat and managed to win the presidential primary. (You might scoff, but remember - that clown won the presidency, and came close to winning it again after a inept response to a global pandemic and two impeachments.)

The question - would Democrats still vote for him?

(Of course they would! All he would need to do is dunk on the liberals the way he dunks on conservatives while continuing to serve corporate interests.)