Anti-Voting Propaganda Discussion

I take comfort in knowing that Bernie was so easily able to convince his colleagues to pass the voting rights act, the infrastructure bill, budget reconciliation and revoke the filibuster.

All things are possible if we just clap harder.

10 Likes

Being the opposition party doesn’t work when you’re the party in power. That was 45’s approach - and as a result, they didn’t actually accomplish much they said they were going to do. The only lasting thing that they accomplished (that they set out to do) was lower taxes. Which, FYI, Biden and the Democrats are in the process of undoing.

Glech, now I need to go take a shower for defending Biden and Dem party leadership. You’re a very bad person.

19 Likes

Yeah, nothing screams closet white supremacist like the phrase “identity politics.”

18 Likes

Several people on this forum have provided tangible examples of Democrats enacting policy that has created meaningful benefit to society at the state and national level.

You have yet to provide a single example of a Green Party candidate doing the same.

The choice YOU are offering is to abdicate any chance of creating change at all.

22 Likes

Economic issues are the only real ones effecting people. Well, I mean real people. /s

13 Likes

If you’ve seriously been knocking on doors trying to win votes for Ralph Nader or the Greens all this time, then there are two possibilities

1. You managed to move Joe Biden to the left a little bit—from which we only benefit IF HE GETS ELECTED

or

1. You didn’t change anything and your efforts have indeed been a complete waste of time
18 Likes

Ralph Nader has successfully protected the country from the scourge of genital politics. :wink:

7 Likes

If the Democrats are powerless to do anything ‘because Republicans’, and the only defense to the harm Republicans can do is to vote for Democrats- what’s the point!?

You’re making a great case for not voting at all.

Luckily (regardless of the continued efforts of the DNC in Texas and Pennsylvania to deplatform them), there are third party alternatives.

Nothing will ever change if we continue to vote against what we fear over what we want. And the Democrats are going to continue to lose elections if all they offer in lieu of Republicans and Trumpism is ‘nicer Republicanism.’

Where’s this guy when you need ‘em, amiright?

I’m more interested in learning what other people believe than talking about my own beliefs. How else would you learn anything?

11 Likes

For the marginalized communities whose lives are literally at stake, the risk of Republicans in power is too great to gamble with.

Check your privilege and think about the lives that are impacted when Republicans win. You would not be whining about not getting everything you want in a political party if your own life or your own future were at stake.

17 Likes

Stopped clock theory and all that.

I mean if that’s your takeaway, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17 Likes

14 Likes

I live in Pennsylvania; we’re not a safe state to vote third party in a Presidential election until that third party starts actually winning some elections. Given the margin of Trump’s loss and what his win would cost us - It would be more efficient for me to just cut out the middle man and vote for Donnie.

There’s plenty of “third” parties out there. Not sure why three is the magic number in this setting. Most of them suck and all of them are ineffectual. I’m not seeing how voting for them in the Presidential election is anything but an ego trip.

19 Likes

Grownups are not talking about “change” this year, they’re talking about whether the actual capital-f Fascists get back in power or not

19 Likes

But he hasnt done anything to help straight white males! So,like, he has literally done nothing! Why can’t you all see this? (Holy fuck, so much /s, but I just couldn’t stand the “helping children and LGBT folks and young people doesn’t count” anymore.)

23 Likes

In response to the MANY posts about how if we don’t vote for the perfect third-party candidate, we deserve what we get in politics…

I remember these same arguments when the candidate was John Anderson. That was over 40 years ago.

Time for new material.

20 Likes

Might as well write in “Jesus Unicorn.”

Although I seem to remember getting something that we really didn’t deserve at all when people did vote for “the perfect third-party candidate” back in 2000. And the people who voted for Jill Stein in 2016 are the reason why we don’t take third-party cheerleaders very seriously anymore.

1 Like

No. They’re making a case for voting for the Democrats within the parameters of your example.

Sorry, for me as a European the whole two party system is ridiculous and I have voted green several times. The difference is that the Greens are actually a viable party here and will probably be in the next government coalition. If I were in the US I sure as hell wouldn’t waste my vote like that. You’re letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. of the alternative that will not make life worse for millions of people and lead to the deaths of quite a few.

23 Likes

I can respect your calculus for voting for Biden in 2020, though I wholeheartedly disagree. I remember his full-throated support for the Iraq war and the 1994 Crime Bill. There was no way in hell I was casting a vote for the guy.

At the same time, I can consider the calculus of someone who voted for Trump. To be sure, some people gleaned on his soft-shoe racist act. Most people who voted for him (who weren’t Republican) felt that the Democrats had abandoned them long ago and didn’t see or care about their concerns. And they weren’t entirely wrong about that - remember Clinton dismissing ‘flyover country’?

I don’t believe that Trump is the modern harbinger of the neo-fascist state. I didn’t believe things would really change if Biden won instead of Trump. They’d feel better in some indiscriminate way, but Biden (over Sanders) meant a return to normal that created the conditions that got Trump elected in the first place.

Democrats never ask why people would vote for someone like Trump - they’re blind to their own failures to win independents. Rather than blame their wholesale abandonment of the working class (mostly independent), they blame them for being to stupid for not realizing their truth.

Then someone like Trump comes in, and diehard Republicans love him. (But to be honest, most of them were going to vote for anyone with an (R) after their name.)

And Democrats are no different. Imagine if Trump had remained a Democrat and managed to win the presidential primary. (You might scoff, but remember - that clown won the presidency, and came close to winning it again after a inept response to a global pandemic and two impeachments.)

The question - would Democrats still vote for him?

(Of course they would! All he would need to do is dunk on the liberals the way he dunks on conservatives while continuing to serve corporate interests.)

No. I remember Republicans CLAIMING she didn’t care about “flyover country” even though she spent decades building a legal and political career in Arkansas while Donald Trump was living atop a Manhattan skyscraper emblazoned with his own name.

But sure, Democrats are the real “coastal elites.”

24 Likes