Anti-Voting Propaganda Discussion

How has voting Green in Presidential elections helped stave off fascism?

Even if Jill Stein had somehow managed to beat both Hillary and Trump in 2016 she would have likely made for a terrible President in practice. A person with her history of anti-vaccination rhetoric was NOT who the nation needed in the White House during the Covid-19 outbreak.

24 Likes

“ Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation (EO 13988)

Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities Through the Federal Government (EO 13985)

Executive orders to combat COVID-19 and ensure a data-driven and equitable response

Guaranteeing an Educational Environment Free From Discrimination on the Basis of Sex, Including Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity (EO 14021)

HUD issues memorandum interpreting that the Bostock decision applies to the Fair Housing Act

CFPB issues interpretative rule strengthening LGBTQ discrimination protections

Department of Justice issues memorandum clarifying protections for LGBTQ students

HHS proposes rule to restore access to family planning services

DOJ files brief clarifying Eighth Amendment rights of incarcerated transgender people

Uncle Joe ain’t perfect- but these don’t sound like the Republicans I remember.

27 Likes

Well, sure, but this isn’t the world we live in and we have to work with the shit sandwich that we have here. It’s just too firmly entrenched and I don’t see it changing – certainly not in my lifetime. We have to work with what we have.

Protest votes for third party candidates may feel cathartic but they are selfish and unhelpful to the populace at large.

18 Likes

You’re operating under the assumption that voting Democratic does? Why?

All they offer is ‘lesser evil’, all the while moving ever more slightly to the Right to collect on that sweet corporate donor class (see Sinema.)

Democrats are on the inside what Republicans are on the inside (with better identity politics.) In 2004, they ran Kerry on a platform of 'NOT BUSH", all while both candidates crowed over who was the better war hawk.

Show me an instance of the Democrats doing anything more tangible than the Republicans for the poor and working class, and we can start there. I believe that it’s easier to guilt Democrats into doing something populist (performative or actual), but they are a long way off from being anything other than the Blue corporate party.

OK, here’s one from just the last few weeks: the Republicans are currently offering cash prizes to bounty hunters to go after women who seek abortions and the Democrats are working to stop them.

Your turn.

21 Likes

I seem to remember some people being convinced that voting for an outsider would reap benefits… how did that work out, electing that outsider?

That’s not REAL issues, though, it’s just women’s issues. /s

20 Likes

Again, there is NO VIABLE ALTERNATIVE to the Democrats and the Republicans, NOR CAN THERE BE. Continuing to pretend there is makes you part of the problem.

5 Likes

Public loan forgiveness over haul. Forgiving debts of people with disabilities. Forgiving debts of victims of predatory for-profit colleges

Creating watchdog org for financial aid to prevent the for-profit colleges from screwing over more people
https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/us-department-education-establish-enforcement-office-within-federal-student-aid

Defending the right of pregant people to make their own choices

Child tax credit expansion lifted three million children out of poverty.

Vaccine mandate for federal employees and contractors. Then a vaccine mandate for private sector employers.

Protection and support for transgender students, military personnel, and aid recipients. Ordering all fed agencies in charge of combating discrimination to fight against discrimination against transgender people.

I could go on but I’m not going to waste more time. I don’t particularly like Biden and I think he could be doing more. I think the senate democrats need to kill the filibuster or reinstate having to physically fillibuster bills. I viewed my vote for Biden as a step in the direction of progress, not a solution. And, importantly, a step away from fascist, heteronormative, cisgender, misogynistic, white supremacy. Is it my ideal? No. But it will take time to repair the damage of 40 years of the GOP and particularly Trump.

In contrast, go check out the shit the GOP has been shoveling pretty much everywhere. The Texas Tribune would give you a good view of Texas.

Your arguments are either hollow or out right false.

Edited to correct typos-of-rage.

22 Likes

Since improved nutrition standards for school meals were put into action across the United States in 2012, children – especially those from low-income households – have been eating healthier school lunches with better overall nutritional quality, a new study published July 28 in JAMA found.

Ten years ago this month, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was signed into law. Since then, the law has transformed the American health care system by expanding health coverage to 20 million Americans and saving thousands of lives. The ACA codified protections for people with preexisting conditions and eliminated patient cost sharing for high-value preventive services.

Add to that that Dems are NOT actively trying to strip women of their bodily rights, nor strip voters of their rights to vote.

ETA: @Kii me :heart: you. Jinx.

22 Likes

The options shouldn’t be ‘shit sandwich’ or ‘1/2 shit sandwich with chocolate ice cream with sprinkles.’

And if you’re convinced that this is as good as it can possibly get and we’re wasting our time to work for something else, then it truly doesn’t matter who made that shit sandwich anymore.

fast food meat GIF

Let me know when they actually do any of that stuff.
Thanks!

No - that’s not entirely fair.

To be honest, he has done some of it (albeit with a heaping dose of means-testing.)

Biden and the Democrats are trying to do the absolute minimum for the greatest amount of copy. The only thing I have to give him full marks on is the Afghanistan withdrawal. It was not without its terrible flaws, but neither Trump nor Obama would take on the military industrial complex to do it.

He may yet go down as one of the greatest unsung Republican presidents running.

Identity politics is what white cis het guys call anything that doesn’t center and enrich them.

25 Likes

No it shouldn’t be; but the rest of us don’t live in that ideal reality which you seem to have in your mind’s eye.

We inhabit the inequitable reality where the current two party system of governance is deeply entrenched and dismantling it won’t happen overnight.

21 Likes

Do you have issues with grammer? Was my use of the past tense in most of that list problematic for you? I even provided you links. The child tax credit expansion has been in effect for months. Those 3 million kids was not a prediction, but a result. Everything I listed is either already done or in progress.

Did you read the replies?! No one has said this! Many of have said the opposite!

If you are going to attempt to engage, actually bother to engage.

@ClutchLinkey it’s nice yo be reminded of the things further in the past.

23 Likes

I’m calling bad faith.

20 Likes

26 Likes

Instead he significantly reduced child poverty, went a long way towards pulling the country out of a COVID death spiral (with gains still to be seen through the large employer vax mandate) AND a recession at the same time, and will probably finish this year passing some version of the biggest infrastructure spending program ever.

What a slacker!

19 Likes

Or barring that, at least choose the one which will do the least amount of harm.

FFS, this isn’t rocket surgery; anyone claiming that ‘both sides’ are equally as awful/inept/evil has ulterior motives, IMHO.

22 Likes

And kids who’ve benefited from these policies are still in school! 10 years is the blink of an eye when it comes to societal change. :woman_shrugging:t2:

13 Likes

That’s easy: look at states that are run by Democrats and the states that are run by Republicans and compare the tangible things that have been done for the poor and working class in those states. Spoiler alert: the blue states have much more robust safety nets and worker protections.

ETA: Or do you actually think that Congress and the presidency are all that matters?

18 Likes