Antidepressant drug or Tolkien?

hmm, well, i guess that’s allowed. hard quiz, no matter what!

2 Likes

Yeah, but the question wasn’t “Tolkien or antidepressant in random overseas market?”

(Prednisone/prednisolone, paracetamol/acetaminophen)

Why not?

1 Like

See my illustrative second line. Things are not called the same in all markets, accents included. But it’s just a silly game, right? :wink:

I mean, that’s what makes the game work, isn’t it? If you knew all the words from your home market, it wouldn’t be fun

1 Like

Maybe. I only knew 14 of the words, anyway! :wink:

1 Like

I failed the quiz. Though it’s comforting to know there are so many antidepressant drugs available. And I might just consider re-reading a Tolkien novel even more comforting.

23 of 24. The accent tripped me up on one.

That’s the new drug I’m working on called TomBombadilazine. It treats psychosis through irony.

5 Likes

*Side effects may include dry mouth, diarrhea, fatigue, dizziness, hives, drowsiness, nausea, rashes and spontaneous outbreaks of singing.

6 Likes

You mean some Caffeíne, aka the boatwright of Elrond who left to join the Noldorin?

1 Like

… Tom has his own Youtube channel now

4 Likes

Interesting fact: In Australia, the government wanted consumers to understand that many different brand names are identical products.

Doctor’s prescriptions are now required to use the chemical name rather than a brand name, unless the doctor has specific reasons for requiring a particular brand. Not sure what triggers the exception. Allergies to a particular binding agent?

On the product packet, the primary name can be shown but must be immediately followed by the chemical name.

1 Like

In europe the reason for that is that several labs can license and produce the generic compound, and usually market it cheaper. Also in case of popular seasonal medication, it helps distribute the load between manufacturers.

Exactly - in Europe, there’s a time limit on how long mfrs get to exploit their unique IP and then third parties have to be able to licence and produce a generic version.

(It’s weird, but in biologics - typically, a lot of drugs ending in -mab -they call the generics ‘biosimilars’, despite the fact that medically they are supposed to be identical not ‘similar’.)

Yeah - except for those of us now behind the Brexit barrier. Many drug shortages here these days and it’s only getting worse.

[Probably too far off topic now.]

1 Like

Brexit and antidepressants go well together.

3 Likes

It’s only the ‘drugs’ that have kept me going! :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.