Anyone interested in more on measles?

We actually have a handout very much like that. IMHO, in the end it is the relationship with the family that makes the difference. If you are seen as trustworthy, caring and honest you will make a lot more ground than if you try to come off as authoritative and demanding. So much of the antivaxx shit is spread by people who are convincingly caring, and so much medical advice comes off as cold. Understand, my approach works for me, and I don’t know that it would transfer to another practitioner very well. And also, it is far from universally successful. (Wow, yeah, so far from!) I guess I take the “I can’t change the world, but I can change my corner of it” sort of approach.

11 Likes

Yay!

7 Likes

A flawed vaccination campaign for Dengue Fever has resulted in widespread distrust of vaccines, fueling a breakout that consists of 33,000 cases since January and 466 deaths.

By all means Mr. Wakefield, explain to me again how measles is such a mild disease that the imagined side effects of the MMR vaccine outweigh its benefits.

6 Likes

Privilege of Ignorance Bubble card: “But we have vitamins, antibiotics and good sanitation…”

/s

5 Likes

Offered as possible solution (or at least, good for a laugh):

21 Likes

Love it. As I said earlier, it’s all about knowing your audience.

6 Likes

Interesting.

8 Likes

That is a wonderful thing!

5 Likes

Give them some free mt dew with it and you’ll get nearly full compliance.

4 Likes

Them that’ll refuse it are few.

Holy fuck. That’s very disturbing, and I don’t know any European country where I would think this would be legal. And I’m not talking about copyright issues here.

2 Likes

giphy%20(16)

3 Likes

And it has the benefit of being true, as we’ve learned. Russia really IS behind the push in disinformation about vaccines.

7 Likes

Seen over at The Worst Things For Sale:

http://theworstthingsforsale.com/2019/05/26/the-pro-measles-book/

No One Box, so here’s the product link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1466938897/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=drsynth-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1466938897

While it’s depressing that this book exists at all, many of the reviews are gratifyingly scathing. From the top review:

If you enjoyed this book, check out these other fine titles from the same author:
.Abby’s Absolutely Abundant Abscess
Addie’s Adorable Adenoma
Adelia’s Addled Alzheimer’s
Andys Amazing AIDS
Anne’s Incandescent Anorexia
Annette’s Astonishing Aneurysm
Annie’s Awesome Asthma
Arnie’s Artful Addiction
Barack’s Baroque Barbiturate Overdose
Barry’s Bitchin Beri Beri
Beatrice’s Bawdy Bronchitis

5 Likes
3 Likes

With a case fatality rate of roughly 0.1% (1/1000), statistically, bad things are out there. BTW, I hate statistics. Liars, damned liars and statistics.

(Apologies @Lexicat)

6 Likes

One can lie with statistics, just as one can with any human language. Statistics is not special in this regard. It’s the humans, not the statistics, you need to worry about. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

PS: Let me know when you find a better language for talking about population health (not individual health), and a better formal language for talking about uncertainty.

7 Likes

Will someone tell them their mission was a success, they can stop now?

7 Likes

Republicans: “It is awful that these unimmunized illegals are coming here and threatening the health of our nation.”

Also Republicans: “It is awful that you want us to vaccinate our children. Freedom!”

8 Likes

You are on a tear in this thread!

But another thing! If your young kid came up to you and said “I don’t like reading,” which of the following is closer to your response:

• Extra parent/child story time before bedtime, extra sports/gardening/comics/fashion/My Little Pony/whatever topics yer kid’s into literature made copiously available, comic strips and cross-word puzzle share time, etc.?
  • That’s OK, honey, you don’t need to become literate!

My money is on you valuing literacy as your child’s birthright, as a guaranteed doorway to a better future compared to the alternative, as your moral duty to usher a competent citizen into the world.

Numeracy is every bit as much your (hypothetical) child’s and (very much real) self’s birthright, makes the world better when you have it in (quantifiably) a grillion ways. Even in your own profession: where do you get evidence about best practices and medical policies from if not, at a very fundamental level, from the numbers produced in the analyses of your clinical trials?

3 Likes