AOC demands Supreme Court Justice Thomas resign for many reasons, including his seditious wife

It’s a worthwhile endeavor. There are ethical standards- the board is tasked with enforcing them. It’s a strong rebuke to an attorney and would be the first time a Supreme Court Justice was so sanctioned.
These guys care deeply about their place in history.

Every decision he makes going forward would have an asterisk on it. His speaking engagements and future book sales will be effected.

Arguing to not do so is nihilistic.

17 Likes

I think that charging and successfully prosecuting a Justice would be a tall order. But a Justice’s wife? not so hard.

It would be super interesting if the DOJ pursued Mrs Thomas and made it clear that the charges would go away if Mr Thomas resigned.

7 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

7 Likes

AOC & Papasan demands Supreme Court Justice Thomas resign!

FIFY

15 Likes

14 Likes

to quote myself: I’m not saying the DC Bar should not kick him out, but that the political situation won’t change because of it.

You need to find better sources.

7 Likes

You don’t know that, though. It might not, but if these shoes keep dropping, some more Republicans might start growing a spine. The more we hold people in power accountable, the more likely they are to think twice about supporting criminal behavior in their party.

12 Likes

Judges are not immune from prosecution. Neither are any political leader. It would be a big deal and unprecedented, but there is nothing under our laws that can preclude it. Just custom and practices.

4 Likes

For what crime would he be prosecuted? There’s evidence to claim his wife participated in the planning of the assault on the capital. That’s criminal conspiracy. But you’d need some evidence tying Thomas in directly to actually charge him with anything.

2 Likes

Well… I mean, the obvious: He isn’t in the military. You give up a lot of rights in the military. But I agree that they both should be investigated - though I don’t hold out any hope anyone who actually planned Jan 6th in office will meet any consequences. :confused:

But in other news, Thomas was in in the hospital on antibiotics. For what, they haven’t said. He just got released on Friday. But, uh, at 73 infections have a way of getting away from you. This could… work itself out.

2 Likes

Co-conspirator to sedition. His wife provided logistical support for the 1/6 rioters, took active efforts to overthrow the election with calls to Trump’s chief of staff. There is no reason to believe he was completely unaware of any of it or didn’t participate with her. Especially given his sole vote against releasing official documentation of the event.

5 Likes

Joyce Alene, a law professor at the University of Alabama, said: “There is something deeply broken in anyone who thinks this is justifiable or even just survivable. A SCOTUS justice’s wife was text buddies with POTUS’s chief of staff, topic: trying to interfere with the transfer of power to the next elected president. Nothing here is ok.” Political scientist Norman Ornstein wrote: “At minimum, someone in the House should introduce an impeachment resolution against Thomas. Let the evidence be aired. He continued to be involved with cases intertwined with his wife’s active engagement. Utterly unethical. And her behavior is flat out traitorous

Yes, yes indeed.

19 Likes

I make a guess a prosecutor is going to need a little more to go on before he takes that to a judge.

1 Like

I am sure a grand jury can come up with an indictment there. Judges have been prosecuted for a lot less.

2 Likes

Good luck with that!

1 Like

That sole vote for blocking WH records doesn’t do much to show he was an unaware bystander to the events of 1/6.

3 Likes

I series of appeals that go to the Supreme Court, I expect. I’m going to guess that because nobody thought that a Supreme Court Justice might face the Supreme Court, there’s no rule that says they can’t rule on their own trial. Clearly ruling on a case involving your own wife isn’t against the rules. Honestly who makes it voluntary to recuse oneself?

1 Like

That’s been a threat by the Republicans for Democrats not to do anything - the problem is, the Republicans don’t need an excuse to do that shit. I don’t think Benghazi was retaliation for Iron-Contra (which happened literally a generation earlier), they did it because they could. And the last four years have shown that they’re willing to use whatever powers they have at hand to fuck over democracy or simply grandstand just because they can. They were always going to go after a Black woman Supreme Court nominee with whatever nonsense bullshit they could come up with, because it plays well with their base.

9 Likes

Ugh. I had forgotten that. Puts one of today’s Wonkette articles into perspective, though.

1 Like