AOC to endorse Bernie Sanders today

i didn’t say that. i said he’s been fighting for it.
you’re just proving my point, so thanks for that.

As candidates I like Warren and I like Sanders, but pointing out concrete policy differences is not “bashing” anyone and the primaries are the time to put potential nominees to the test and under the microscope. Coddling candidates is not helpful.

9 Likes

I’m sure this has been said before, but isn’t it undemocratic/agist that AOC can’t run for president? It seems to imply that she doesn’t have enough experience, or is too immature. She seems to be more qualified and much more mature than say, the current president.

I love AOC and see her as the future of the Democratic Party, but also think that a few years of experience will be very beneficial to her when she eventually runs for President.

6 Likes

Maybe take another pass at this one in particular and make it seem less like you’ve picked an Anointed One.

3 Likes

Also, 1972 was forty-seven years ago. Bringing McGovern up is not quite as irrelevant as touting the Republicans as the Party of Lincoln, but events half a century ago are not any kind of evidence for what today’s Democratic party would or wouldn’t do.

4 Likes

I’m very happy to have the Squad in Congress, but AOC & Omar’s endorsement isn’t enough to tilt my primary vote in Bernie’s favor. I think the ‘she started out as a Republican’ critique of Warren is dumb, & I think Warren is both smarter & a more effective legislator than Bernie has been. I don’t see the Obama coalition being revived by either of the two old white men (I get to say sh*t like that b/c I’m an old white man myself), & I’m not sure Warren can do it either. That said, I plan to vote with my heart in the primary & vote with my head in the general, & I hope everyone here will do the same.

2 Likes

By the time she can run for President, she will already have served six years in the House of Representatives (knock on wood) and will have had an asteroid named after her.* That’s way more than you can say about Cheeto Benito. And that’s just before she’s eligible to run for President, not before she actually will run for President. She has a very bright future ahead of her.

*Not a qualification to become President, but still kinda cool

7 Likes

If there is one breaking point that is the source of all their differences, this is pretty much it.

1 Like

If the requirement were experience I would understand, but it’s not. The requirement is age. Donald Trump had absolutely no experience in politics before he became president, AOC has more experience than he did, and I would think that makes her more qualified. It’s just agism.

This might be part of the reason more hasn’t been done about climate change. The people who it affects the most don’t have a horse in the race.

Don’t get me wrong… I love Bernie, and I hope he wins, I just think age is a poor indicator of aptitude.

No? I mean, not at all.
From the DNC’s perspective, they had the choice of backing a lifelong DNC supporter who’d been Secretary of State and a Democratic Senator… or a lifelong independent who had changed his party affiliation to run against Hillary. But she’s not running this year.

Only problem is, that institution isn’t supposed to work that way. The DNC is supposed to be impartial; they should not show preference for one candidate over another, because one is a “lifelong” supporter or any other reason. Under Wasserman Schultz (who resigned in disgrace from her position as chair) the DNC clearly crossed boundaries in support of its preferred candidate, to the extent that they actively collaborated on how to sabotage her opponent. Those actions undermined democracy, which is why many progressives turned their back on the Democrats in the wake of 2016.

Supporting Hillary Clinton was, in no possible way, a threat to democracy.
It’s okay if you prefer Bernie over Hillary. Let’s not delve into silly hyperbole.

2 Likes

It doesn’t really matter who the candidate is; the DNC choosing to secretly support one candidate over another is acting against the public’s best interest and against democracy.

I think you’re reading a lot of Machiavellian silliness into what was fairly pragmatic and straightforward.

And ended up with them adopting many of Bernie’s policies into the Democratic platform.

I’m pretty sure @3Salkow is referring to this, when the DNC cut him off from voter data.

2 Likes

Understandable. In no way am I stumping for the DNC or Wasserman-Schultz, but that sort of underhanded tactic is a little different than what’s been spoken of elsewhere in the thread.

3 Likes

So straightforward that the DNC chair and other high-ranking personnel had to resign over the matter? Leaked e-mails showed that high-ranking people in the DNC collaborated over strategies to undermine Sanders’ campaign. They also shed light on a disturbing relationship between the DNC and MSNBC, which was also leveraged against Sanders. It doesn’t matter if you support Hillary or Sanders; those actions undermine our democracy and public faith in institutions that are supposed to uphold it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.