AOC trounces Wall Street-backed primary challenger

@Wally

Putting on my @papsan surrogate hat right now!

“I’m prematuring right now!”

12 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 12 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Many of them have never had to work at entry-level jobs, even summer jobs, in their lives. But they love to claim rail-splitting Abe Lincoln as their own.

14 Likes

Or they did work at said jobs because their parents made them, so they denigrate anyone of lower status for being aspirational by trying for something better, citing how it “builds character”.

9 Likes

This goes way, way back. Ancient Greece had it covered; Sophocles’ Elektra sought vengeance against those who killed her father; a woman seeking vengeance… so she must be crazy. Then Richard Strauss comes along a couple of thousand years later and amplifies the “craziness” in his opera, Elektra. And the beat goes on.

3 Likes

Their American Dream is very selective.

It’s okay to pull yourself up by your boot-straps, so long as you land in your proper place.

9 Likes

Some of us 60-somethings are all in on that revolution.

7 Likes

Her physical appearance and her other demographic characteristics are relevant, because they are why she became the primary challenger to AOC in the first place. Wealthy and powerful people backed her because they thought she had superficial similarities to AOC but would back their interests if she won. But they completely misread the situation and the voters rejected the fake AOC-clone.

10 Likes

Advice from personal experience. Since this person is your spouse, absolutely do not say “I told you so”.
Even if you were right, it never works out well.

1 Like

Make it so.

Wait… people actually work in the field they trained for?

Seriously I don’t know very many, and none under 55.

2 Likes

Hey, it’s how I learned (somewhat) to cook. Not to mention how to wash dishes.

1 Like

Weirdly, most of them have decent paying jobs. Just not in their actual field of study. It’s usually a hobby that turned out to actually pay better/ have better job prospects. Or in my case, the degree was useless for getting jobs and I’d been doing the job for years before I knew there even was official schooling for it.

I have one problem with AOC, but it is quite a big one:
It’s that, because I’m a Brit, I’ll never get the opportunity to vote for her :frowning:

6 Likes

I don’t know how you put together that they are my spouse. I specifically stated “a friend of ours” as in “a friend of both my spouse and I about whom she and I were discussing”

1 Like

I totally misread that! (that’s exactly how I did that)

Clearly I shouldn’t speed read the comments section.

3 Likes

You may want to clarify your meaning. Unable to parse.

5 Likes

As much as people are already thinking already of President Ocasio-Cortez, may I first suggest…

House Speaker Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

11 Likes

Sounds like you might hang out with an abundance of philosophy majors? I know lawyers, nurses, teachers, architects, engineers, outdoor guides and foresters and they all definitely work in the fields they trained for.
ETA: I just got to your second comment. I see. Sounds similar to most of the people I know who aren’t working in their field of study: artists, entrepreneurs, etc. Cool.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.