AOC's Rolling Stone interview: portrait of a principled, shrewd, brilliant activist/politician

Some of ya’ll are over there like, “I’m gonna hold off. I don’t to put all my faith in her just yet.”

And I’m over here like,

giphy2

giphy3

18 Likes

on the twitter thread there was a trollish tweet saying that those questions had to have been written for her by someone smarter than she was. would it surprise anyone to find out that he works for the heritage foundation? by their lunatic fear of her they are making her effectiveness even more powerful.

13 Likes

Oh that sweet summer child. Why, the silly young thing is so naive that she actually seems to think the point of questioning a witness before congress is to get answers instead of to make pronouncements!

15 Likes

Except that literally everything he says is 100% bullshit. I mean, no-bullshit was his marketing strategy, so I see where you are coming from.

People are so convinced that everything is about messaging. But messaging is a competitive game - the people’s ability to see through your messaging is trained by your ability to message. But on top of that, congress has an approval rating of, what? 2.7%? No one likes them. They suck at messaging. At some point when what you are doing isn’t working, you’d think you’d do something different.

10 Likes

Someone put forth the idea that for the young congresswomen like AOC, they don’t need to grandstand in these public hearings to get noticed. They’re internet natives, and if they want to communicate with the public, they can do so directly. They don’t need to look like they’re working on television, with lots of speech-making, they can actually just work.

I think there may be something to that.

18 Likes

Who else knows about that, Mr. Cohen?

Who would know the details of that, Mr. Cohen?

Where should we look to find more information about that, Mr. Cohen?

Basic reporters’ questions that are not asked very frequently in congressional hearings. Excellent.

15 Likes
2 Likes

Can someone make a Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez / Daenerys Targaryen meme i can’t seem to find one yet kthx

4 Likes

K so, finding an apparently gaping hole in Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - Daenerys Targaryen meme-space, I went ahead and threw this together, feel free to caption it, anyone, kthx again. Props to Twitter username @Danils0N for inadvertantly bringing this to my attention btw.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Circular firing squad? Or…hmmm, what’s coming to mind is Twelve Angry Men. There’s gotta be a better comparison, about the plucky newcomer who turns around all the wornout, cynical veterans, etc.

7 Likes

If it was true that she was being fed her lines it would come out, because at some point her earphone would break down and she would be lost for words.

However, on another level, if it were true, these are still questions and points that need to be raised, even if it was by a mouthpiece.

To be clear, I think she’s great!

3 Likes

I only join the “let’s hold back on words like brilliant” gang because it’s a judgement that is relative to her competition.

Matt Taibbi at Rolling Stone phrases it pungently:

" One of the first things you learn covering American politicians is that they’re not terribly bright.

The notion that Hill denizens are brilliant 4-D chess players is pure myth, the product of too many press hagiographies of the Game Change variety and too many Hollywood fantasies like House of Cards and West Wing.

The average American politician would lose at checkers to a zoo gorilla. They’re usually in office for one reason: someone with money sent them there, often to vote yes on a key appropriation bill or two."

" Lest anyone think any of the above applies to “AOC,” who’s also had a lot to say since arriving in Washington, remember: she won in spite of the party and big donors, not because of them."

I suspect Matt stands ready to call her on any bullshit that does come up, but for the nonce, she’s just head-and-shoulders standing out because she’s there to represent her voters, not big donors. The real diff between GOP and Dem is that voters in the safest red districts, where donors could also be ignored, believe the same stuff the Koch brothers do; but in the safest blue districts like hers, the voters do not believe the same things big pharma and big finance donors believe, and have had democratic congresspeople voting for, since the 1970s at least.

11 Likes

When Portman does nothing, he does no harm.

1 Like

“One advantage Ocasio-Cortez has over some colleagues is that she consistently attends even the most mundane committee hearings, since she does not spend any of her day calling donors for money. Her online presence is strong enough that she has chosen to rely on it exclusively to raise contributions in smaller increments.”

15 Likes

So some Republicans find it hard to believe AOC is as smart as she seems. Meanwhile I’m still having a hard time believing any President could be as dumb as Trump seems.

18 Likes

She probably consulted with her staff and/or other advisers in coming up with those questions. And saying that isn’t at all a knock against her.

It’s no surprise that those who criticize her performance and supposed lack of brains fail to see collaboration skills as another form of intelligence.

21 Likes

“I done did evrythang myself, ya hear? Now run off n go fetch me a beer, boy”

4 Likes

Thanks for the image. With your permission…

Okay, maybe not the last one.

13 Likes

Republican: There’s no way a bartender could know all that stuff.

Person in real world: Gee, Mr. Republican, could it be that a millennial, fresh out of university with student loans to pay might take whatever job will pay the bills because an unpaid internship in her field of choice isn’t going to?

Also, she was a bartender in New York where Mr. Trump and Mr. Cohen have been criming for decades, so maybe she’s heard a few things a congressperson from Nebraska might not have. Hence her line of questioning to you.

Further, Mr. Republican, sir, have you ever actually done a customer service job, before? Did you know that one of the skills you learn is talking to people who you are supposed to serve, only unlike a Republican congressman, you don’t get to refuse to talk to them, and if you fail to make them happy, there’s no such thing as a safe job. And you have to do it even if you’re tired or hungry or just don’t want to. I recognise that these are alien concepts, Mr. Republican, sir, so I will give you time to digest them.

No, Mr. Republican, sir, that’s quite all right. We understand your confusion. Please don’t fret, you can call our customer service support line How to Understand Non-Lobbyists is here for you, twenty-four hours a day. Just call 1-800-382-5948. Thank you.

NOTE: Please do not actually call that number, I have no idea where it leads. Astute readers, however, may be able to work out what it says.

1-800-FUCKWIT

16 Likes