AP: photos of Ted Cruz with gun pointed at head not intended to be negative

i look at the former and see an explicit threat of violence.

You do not. That’s the difference.

I look at the latter and see an implicit insult. So do you.

2 Likes

Maybe this is good photo-journalism. Cruz was giving a talk in a room with pictures of guns on the wall. This wasn’t fabricated in Photoshop. The photographer used what was in the environment to frame a shot that gave a narrative to the kind of political figure Cruz is.

2 Likes

Perhaps it was a problem of placement?

5 Likes

Shooting his mouth off?

No, wait, Cruz is the sort of fellow that first puts his foot in his mouth, then tries to shoot his mouth off. Or is that Perry? Both?

1 Like

Wishful thinking?!?

I’m sorry did Gifford show up at a gun event with crosshairs on it? Did she hold up a map at such an event such that crosshairs appeared on that map? How can you possibly equate the intentional placement of a threat by a political opponent who is part of a movement to legitimise the threat of firearms as a “political” force in the US with a photographer photographing a gun event that a gun supporter is at and which necessarily has pictures of guns?

It’s utterly absurd. Much like everything to do with guns in the US. Though at least this is potentially mildly amusing (though nowhere near as good as all the UK ones above), rather than tragic.

1 Like

True, pretty much just mildly amusing.

And if some person who had easy access to firearms and difficulty accessing mental & medical assistance did erroneously believe it was instructional, well, according to supporting the status quo, that is the risk Cruz was willing to take.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.