Apple's wearables and iPhone 6 event, liveblog

Well good for you.

… because this watch Requires iPhone 5 or later.

(scurries out)

8 Likes

I’ve got a problem with how it looks. The “Apple aesthetic” worked well for the phone, but as they try and stretch it out and articulate it for other objects the original fundamentals start to look a little thin. There are some problems inherent with mass consumer electronics as individual fashion statements.

Not saying there won’t be people around who’ll rock it, just hard to imagine it translating across as many fashion niches as the phone does.

I think it looks a lot like a Swatch.

1 Like

Meh, I say!

I like my MotoActv, mainly because it lets me have a lighter weight GPS/Heartrate combo for running. And, if I need to be connected for some reason, I can read my text messages or answer phone calls while running.

I’ve yet to see a compelling reason to wear a watch on a daily basis. If you are a watch wearer (which fewer and fewer are), maybe you will actually use all these new fangled smart watches.

I for one am really looking forward to Google Glass-type devices once they get smaller and more discreet. I could see these being spectacular during sports, if made cheap and/or hard to break.

Unfortunately for Apple, once we got beyond the DynaTAC “brick,” people have been using their cell phones to tell time. It is the cell phone that got people out of the habit of wearing watches.

Yup. That was pretty much exactly what I expected. Tech media got all hot and frothy over Apple’s tech journalist marketing extravaganza event and lost their collective minds over some really dull been there done that technology that’s only spin is more marketing and more proprietary.

Blah.

Watching tech journalist get worked up over Apple tech journalist marketing events is about as exciting as watching a lobbyist work on politicians. I am sure it is exciting for the politicians to be wine and dined, but for everyone else it is just kind of nauseating.

4 Likes

So people don’t wear watches because it’s easier to just take your phone out of your pocket to check the time, and the solution is to create a mini phone to wear on your wrist while you carry a giant phone in your pocket?

Small phone on wrist, giant watch in pocket?

Also, the battery life on both if you actually use them is shit, necessitating keeping them plugged in during the day if you want to use either in the evening.

Isn’t progress marvellous?

Written using my giant phone that’s not a phone, which has largely replaced my small computer for computing tasks.

2 Likes

For Apple, longevity has never been promoted or prominently valued as a marketing strategy. The batteries fail, plastic molds crack, proprietary dongles change. These are mapped and predetermined options, to save costs by restricting quality, computer technology is the perfect capitalist money maker. It is perpetually being upgraded, the constant upselling is how fortunes are made.

4 Likes

Yes we’ve been hearing for quite a while about how all these appliances will converge into the One Gadget That Will Unite Them All and instead Apple coughs up this hair ball.

2 Likes

No left-handed version, I see how it is…

4 Likes

Crap.

I think mine is a knock-off.

8 Likes

Let me guess - Someone sold you on the oversized screen. :wink:

3 Likes

So what time is it?

1 Like

Wearing the Apple Watch only at night is actually a good option, given how f*ing hideous it looks with the lights on.

3 Likes

Wow, there’s a lot of hate in this room.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest they’ll sell a ton of both the iPhones and the watches, nobody who has commented so far will understand why, and blame “stupid” and “fanatical” Apple fans who have somehow been brainwashed (by the millions!) to love Apple products.

It’s all marketing! But Samsung spends like 4x what Apple does on ads. I don’t like it! Perhaps you’re the one with unusual taste? Nobody wears watches anymore! Switzerland alone sold 23.8 billion dollars worth of watches last year. The watch is expensive! $350 is pretty cheap for a nice watch actually.

As usual with Apple products it will be beautiful and well made, and likely quite popular. The usual suspects will have all the usual complaints, which most of the rest of the world will happily ignore, because they have different priorities than most techies.

2 Likes

We’re not all Apple haters. Apple is all I use: home and work computers, phones, ipads, airports, time capsules, the whole shebang. I’ve even tried Samsung et al., and Android stuff, and come right back. I’m the epitome of stupid and fanatical Apple fan. But I still say that watch is f*ing hideous! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s easily the best looking of the existing batch of smart watches. Still like the looks of my eco drive better, however I could see myself wearing one. The haptic feedback stuff looks really cool for directions, as well as for communications.

The drawing on the screen to another person looks really neat - I think that could be one of the coolest things about it that most people are overlooking. I’m not sure this first gen will do enough for me personally to buy one, but I’m sure they’ll sell a bunch and I do see a bunch of promise.

Oh, I’m pretty sure they’ll sell loads.

And I’m not an Apple hater either, have an iPad and MBP, had an iPhone until I got pissed off that they denied me the turn by turn navigation the phone was clearly capable of.

I wear a watch every day, love me a nice mechanical movement. I just don’t really get the idea of smart watches. The Apple Phone just looks a mess from what I saw - I’m suspicious about the battery life and the design and the interface both look like a bit of a dog’s breakfast.

I think Google’s approach makes more sense to me, and if the Moto 360 had a decent battery and had avoided that nasty cut out at the bottom it’d be a lot more tempting. But even then, I already have my phone with me and a watch is really just jewellery for men.

I think the iPhone 6 is a little underwhelming too, to be honest Apple products generally have been, post-Jobs. Not bad, just…meh. And I wouldn’t touch any of Samsung’s craptastic rubbish with a 10 foot pole.

That’s some damning with faint praise there.

4 Likes