April's "black moon" approaches on April 30th

Originally published at: April's "black moon" approaches on April 30th | Boing Boing

3 Likes
9 Likes

The Newsweek article is weird. I’ve always heard that the second new moon in a calendar month is referred to as a “blue moon”, not a “black moon” (maybe especially during harvest months.)

I can understand that a blue moon coinciding with a lunar eclipse would get its own name, because people often attach significance to the lunar cycles and to eclipses in general.

2 Likes

Is Mercury still retrograde?

8 Likes

Eh, 65+ million people is not exactly nobody.

12 Likes

A blue moon is the second full moon in a month, so kind of the opposite of a new moon / black moon.

Also I just wanted to add that according to this website about the “black moon eclipse”, https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/2220/partial-solar-eclipse-on-april-30-2022/

“A new moon happens when the moon is fully in shadow from Earth’s
perspective, and is the only alignment during
which solar eclipses can happen”

So yeah, it looks like a new moon always coincides with a solar eclipse, which kind of makes sense since as the posted article said it’s when the moon is only illuminated from the other side, which is what happens during an eclipse, right?

So anyway I don’t think this will look any different from any other eclipse, it just happens to happen on the second new moon of the month, which basically just causes it have a “cool” sounding name.

12 Likes

Antarctica’s northwestern coastline

Sorry, this phrase is blowing my mind a little.

9 Likes

And Venus collides with Jupiter

4 Likes

Astronomy for the win!!

Astrology for the gullible.

7 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

We saw this yesterday morning, they were close but not that close yet. It was about 6 am and the sun was just rising. Amazing how bright and clear they were.

Referred to by whom?

Yes, but Venus is in the house of the Sun, so I’m afraid the stars are still not right.

No gibbering or laughing like gods for us. Except of course if you feel like it. Then it’s fine, you do you. (Right now?)

4 Likes

Vênus in

House of Sun

Thank Heavens! Cthulhu still is dreaming in his house in R’Lyeh! I hope he waits forever…

6 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

It is not our fault, but I think nobody is going to see anything as it is raining a lot this weekend… @FGD135 are you around here?

3 Likes

After watching too much sci-fi, I’m gonna hope this alignment has no negative effect on anything. :grimacing:

It’s for lyricists, too:

8 Likes

Mercury as seen by an astronomer vs Mercury as seen by an astrologer. “Today I will mess with Gislaine´s life.”

7 Likes
6 Likes