Archaeology Today

8 Likes

For moment I thought they had LiDAR scans of the scribe himself! I was like how’d that happen??

Been a long day.

1 Like

476,000 year old Lincoln Logs (although admittedly they weren’t called that back then.)

Another article with some more photos on that find:

4 Likes

"Neolithic woodworking "

4 Likes

The estimated age of the footprints was first reported in Science in 2021, but some researchers raised concerns about the dates. Questions focused on whether seeds of aquatic plants used for the original dating may have absorbed ancient carbon from the lake — which could, in theory, throw off radiocarbon dating by thousands of years.
The new study presents two additional lines of evidence for the older date range. It uses two entirely different materials found at the site, ancient conifer pollen and quartz grains.

Pretty cool new info.

7 Likes
3 Likes

I guess people did used to say “let’s eat grandma” rather than only “let’s eat, grandma”!

4 Likes

Lions Attacking a Dromedary

2 Likes

“Mommy, I hate Grandma’s guts.”

“Then no dessert for you!”

1 Like

Ritual cannibalism certainly continues in western religious practices.

9 Likes

Confirmed (probably)

7 Likes

Hmmmm

Viking’s main products are wooden windows, doors and swords. They are known for excellent production culture, customer service and fighting skills.

8 Likes

Wow! I have seen that diorama many times over the years. No idea the human was taxidermied as well! Holy shit, what a blow to my childhood recollections.

2 Likes

I thought that was literally just a Simpsons joke about how inappropriate old natural history museum exhibits were.

3 Likes

Who thought it was really necessary to include a human skull in the recreation? A fake head would have been just fine. Nobody would notice and people wouldn’t have nightmares now as a result. :man_shrugging:

There’s a Kolchak episode in this somewhere.

3 Likes

The policy on not displaying bodies without consent mostly seems like a good one but it also applies even to casts of bones, which seems very limiting if you’re trying to do legitimate scientific displays about archaeology and anything related to human evolution.

5 Likes

It’s back to shadow puppets then.

3 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes