Are people who study Uranus annoyed by jokes about Uranus?

Nope, but(t) they do find amusing jokes about YOUR anus.

5 Likes

Username checks out!

11 Likes

disney pixar GIF

10 Likes

Uranus, Missouri is the geographical embodiment of a* Uranus joke.

*A or an? I’m stumped, or don’t really want to think to much about it.

3 Likes

You left the “I am very smart” off the end of your post…

13 Likes

Proctocosmologists

7 Likes
4 Likes

The Georgian Star - Georgium Sidus. Outside of the UK, this was not popular - honestly can’t think why - and the name ‘Neptune’ was initially proposed. Meanwhile, a group of French astronomers felt that mythological names should be dropped for the new rationalism and proposed ‘Herschel’, but it was Johann Bode’s suggestion of Uranus that won out…

…apart from in the UK, where Uranus was known as Georgium Sidus by Her Majesty’s Nautical Almanac Office until 1850.

It all kicked off again in 1846 when Neptune was discovered. The French proposed calling it Le Verrier after the genius who predicted the planet’s position to within 1 degree of its actual position.

3 Likes

There is a nice aside to Georgium Sidus. The confirmation that it was a planet came in October 1781 just as British forces surrendered in Yorktown. The lecturer Matthew Turner wrote:

‘It is true we had lost the terra firma of the Thirteen Colonies in America, but we ought to be satisfied with having gained in return by the generalship of Mr Herschel a terra incognita of much greater extent in nubilis*’.

I’m not sure if he was serious, but the UK might just have claimed Uranus as a colony.

6 Likes

Chemists embrace the jokes

Now the question is “Are there arsoles in Uranus?”

17 Likes

The name isn’t set in stone, it could be fixed—it currently sounds odd, and like other things in the wrong category, because it’s not really Latin

4 Likes

premier league football GIF by Arsenal

11 Likes

Or they could launch a campaign to convince everyone that it’s pronounced “oo-RAH-noos.”

1 Like

By far the best solution would be going back to the Babylonian names, like Ishtar and Nabu

4 Likes

I just checked and I’m faintly disappointed. The atmosphere of Uranus (the planet) does not have the expected high methane content.

2 Likes

Why does this all have to center around the planet, why not rename the human anatomy? “Anus” is just a formality- call it officially your butthole, problem solved.

I knew a woman who had done some research on arsole and its compounds. She had one interview where a man kept asking her about it and giggling. Oh dear…

2 Likes

Arsole is only mildy aromatic…

no room for any jokes there.

7 Likes

That’s why I pronounce it oo-RAHN-us.

2 Likes

The classical stress is actually on the first syllable (Latin would have been OO-ra-nus rather than oo-RAH-nus) so I wonder why this became the planet of butt jokes instead of pee jokes.

9 Likes