Are people who study Uranus annoyed by jokes about Uranus?

3 Likes

I and several friends attended a conference vendor shindig in the Chicago Planetarium. Aside from it being an awesome place, many things about it were great: the string quartet playing covers of Taylor Swift, making friends with the catering staff so we swiped them food and they told us where the best stuff was, and having a real bartender who could make non-alcoholic drinks that weren’t Diet Coke for the pregnant lady.

But the best part was that from where we sat, everyone came by looking for the bathrooms, and we would gleefully point and tell varying levels of drunk people, “Take a right past Uranus!”. Never got old.

13 Likes

It really shouldn’t be surprising. As Feynman showed in his definitive 1978 paper on the topic, the body that smelt it is also the body that dealt it.

9 Likes

Methane is scentless, so that would be a joke about sulfide content. Maybe some astrophysicists can appreciate the jokes, but judging from what movies have taught me about scientists, surely they’d insist they be accurate!

8 Likes

You’re right - thiol be hell to pay if we forget sulfur compounds in our celestial fart jokes!

7 Likes

I assume it’s similar to when you’re a penetration tester:

you want people to shut the fuck up and act like adults in what I’ll call the “LinkedIn context”, and outside of it, want them to not make cute jokes unless they’re gonna follow through on their double entendres

tumblr_nt7hwt4oai1tkezu4o1_500

2 Likes

Ah, Planetary Proctologists.

4 Likes

5 Likes

audience wow GIF

but that’s okay, cause women aren’t real people and rape jokes are funny to men…

3 Likes

So I don’t really know what’s going on here? :wink:

As opposed to Proctocosmetologists who deal mainly with the aesthetics of the thing.

5 Likes

Seconded.

Naboo-foto

Not sure how you think that’s a rape joke, it’s an expression of annoyance people make sexual comments about a job title. It’s fun to joke around if every opts in, but otherwise people have a right to just discuss work at work.

(And you do realize “penetration testing” is done with consent, or it’s just a felony right?)

3 Likes

"you want people to shut the fuck up and act like adults in what I’ll call the “LinkedIn context”, and outside of it, want them to not make cute jokes unless they’re gonna follow through on their double entendres"

It might be good to avoid “second person” pronouns when making revealing statements or deprecating jokes about desiring penetration for oneself via written text?

6 Likes

I’ve heard people more refer to it as a euphenism for seduction / flirting / finding out if someone is single, but I see where you’re coming from. (And I haven’t had a string of negativity from you, so more receptive)

Edit: Also I don’t know the definition of second person off the top of my head, sounds like you are more of a writing expert, so I’ll defer to that expertise :slight_smile:

1 Like

You get out what you put in.

4 Likes

Amber Riley Tea GIF

4 Likes

I see he isn’t willing to relax. The definition, I mean: for a gas giant, the radius is defined by where the atmospheric pressure reaches 1 bar (same as Earth’s surface). But what if we defined planetary radii by the exopause, instead? That would definitely increase the volume of large planets more than small ones. And in any case, rocky planets’ atmospheres would still be compressible above their solid surfaces; you could squeeze more into Uranus that way, too.

3 Likes

Read through all the replies and very disappointed that no one has hilited that the one scientist could have saved five whole words very easily, but chose not to.

“We’re doing serious stuff here and we’re trying to push for a mission to a really scientifically interesting place.”

Is he being paid by the word?

No one invited Bloor to this thread?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.