Are you okay?

Ow ow OW.

I hope the spasms give up quickly!

14 Likes

I was digging my toes into the carpet under my desk as I read this. So sorry youā€™re dealing with that.

This part made me laugh though, but not at you. Back around ā€™93 I was being the designated driver and my last drop-off had been unconscious in the passenger seat the whole time. I had a Mazda 626 coupe, and he is quite literally the shortest ex-Marine Iā€™ve ever known, so he was able to comfortably sleep with hit feet up on the dash.

You see where this is going, right?

It just made a big solid ā€˜pockā€™ sort of sound. He was absolutely mortified, to the point that he was instantly nonconsensually sober[ish]. I, of course, just lost it. Could not stop laughing at what I had just seen, and how obvious it should have been that that would happen when I woke him up.

It was only a half-height vertical crack, so it wasnā€™t an issue to get home and of course he was totally good about it and I think I had it replaced by Wednesday or thereabouts. Still giggling when I think about it, might try to track him down see if heā€™s amused by the memory as I am.

11 Likes

Waitā€¦

Not that Iā€™m complaining per se, but if youā€™re gonna institute administrative controls like thatā€¦ you see where Iā€™m going with this, right?

6 Likes

I live in Minneapolisā€™s Seward neighborhood. The 3rd Precinct police station that was burned is less than a mile from my house. That corner was my local shopping areaā€¦the Target, the Cub Foods (for anything that I didnā€™t get at the co-op on Franklin), Aldi (though Iā€™ve only shopped there a couple of times)ā€¦gone. On top of everything else, my neighborhood is now officially a food desert. :sob:

24 Likes

I donā€™t know if Iā€™m okay. Iā€™m numb with anxiety about where today is going to lead.
We went out today to get meat at the West Side Market. (I stay in the car, he goes in to pick up the called-in order.) Just as we got there, both of our phones blasted warning beeps and told us the downtown area was under curfew since noon (the warning notification came at 1:30, 90 minutes later.)
I saw no smoke from across the river. but I didnā€™t know what was going on.
I still donā€™t. And trying to wade through the barrage of reports from the protests is only making me more anxious. Iā€™m going to shut down for a while and just be grateful the grandson didnā€™t go to the protests with his friends.

Comparing to whatā€™s happening to @zfirphdn and their neighbors, itā€™s probably small potatoes. My heart goes out to everyone who has been hurt by the riots. I hope the leaders get their shit together and repair the damage to our communities and civilities. I think I hope in vain.

28 Likes

To all the American BBers, take care of yourself, and stay safe. And good luck and wishes of success to any and all of you who are taking part of the protests!

22 Likes

Not particularly. Friend I had known online for the past decade died just before the corona pandemic got bad (as far as I know itā€™s unrelated. A friend i had known for fifteen years isnā€™t speaking to me.

I had to walk away from a hobby Iā€™d been part of for twenty five years because, looking back, I was always a sort of community outsider and someone that will confront an issue (rightly or wrongly. Plenty of times my own bullrushing has landed me in hot water,) vs the general communal trend to avoid, sit on an issue, and do nothing until itā€™s unignorable and everyone always kisses up to community staffers. MUSHing. Iā€™m glad itā€™s not dead. I have a few happy memories and a few friends, but it seems me and that hobby never got along.

Then thereā€™s my family barking at how Dear Leader Trump is being attacked, how this or that conspericy sounding thing is proof the libtards are aweful, or crowing at how smart they areā€¦

Iā€™m not OK, but Iā€™ll make do. As annoying as my family can be they arenā€™t the devil, and as sad as it is for friends and hobby to go away? It isnā€™t the end of the world.

Such is life, and this too shall pass.

14 Likes

I am. Mostly. Then again I find myself pushing back in places it isnā€™t helpful. I jump away form the community too here, for various reasons.

Granted, this is on one level an Internet community of randos. but there are a lot of well meaning people who have been circulating for well over a decade, and that is something.

11 Likes

Well Iā€™ve got covid toes My blood pressure and resting heartrate have been all over the shop since early March. I have had two covid tests. First came in negative. Second probably will as well. I get periodic bouts of muscular pain, particularly in my back.

Apart from that, fine.

14 Likes

You will probably test negative because the viral load isnā€™t in the lungs and most tests only do nasal or throat swabs. If they test the skin of your toes you will test positive and most likely you are only shedding virus through sweat rather than through the respiratory tract.
[https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/bjd.19163]
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/bjd.19163)
If you get leg cramps/charlie horse feeling go see a doctor because you probably have a blood clot. This is one fucked up bug, so take care of yourself and I hope you start feeling better soon.

16 Likes

Some information for any US citizen who might have thought they were ineligible for a $1200 stimulus check, due to homelessness or currently residing outside the country.
I thought to post this after meeting a Latino man here in Tijuana who has US citizenship because he was born in Queens, NYC. He was not aware he was eligible for a check.

19 Likes

Soā€¦ 2020 is now official overā€¦

How are you guys doing?

17 Likes
5 Likes

So far, 2021 has been good for me. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Iā€™m slowly getting back to health after covid infection. This thing is brutal.
5 weeks after first symptoms I still have trouble breathing and have this ā€œbrain fogā€ thing.
Having said that Iā€™m really happy that there were no serious complications, because my immune system is weak and I already have damaged lungs.

On the other hand my friend, who is 30 year old and had perfect health, is fighting for life right now.
All because our goverment fucked up and kept the schools open.

28 Likes

Physically and financially Iā€™m okay, which I know is a blessing. But psychically, I feel like there is a long road ahead. I knew we had problems in the US, but this past 4 years has made me feel like crying almost constantly. And this past year with the isolation,ā€¦
The fact that half of ā€œusā€ are so selfish and cruel, that they would endanger fellow citizens and do things, not based on some belief that itā€™s for the best, but just to hurt othersā€¦
And between the election stuff and the COVID deniers, the fact that so many are calling their neighbors and family liars about these most basic facts.
I cannot wait until itā€™s safe to get out into the community again. I think volunteering is the best way to claw myself out of this funk. But that still looks a few months out.

22 Likes
5 Likes

Oh no Iā€™m so sorry to hear. I hope both of you recover fully.

18 Likes

Good actually. At the macro level Iā€™m in the same boat as literally every other human on Earth wrt the pandemic. But I also spent the last night of 2020 with the other half of my household watching fireworks in the distance through the window and reflecting on how grateful I am for literally every single aspect of that moment. I hope this is a year of healing and recovery for as many people as possible.

21 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.