Argentina's central bank wants to put Lionel Messi on its money

Originally published at: Argentina's central bank wants to put Lionel Messi on its money | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Seems a little :sunglasses: Messianic

6 Likes

Apparently Christ himself has returned, and he plays football.

I mean, probably a better person than most of the people on money now.

3 Likes

Probably! But there’s still something to be said for waiting until after a person is dead before putting their likeness on currency. Bad stuff comes out about dead people’s past actions from time to time but at least with dead folks you’re reasonably certain that they aren’t going to go commit a bunch of new hate crimes or anything equally shameful.

5 Likes

2 Likes

(King Charles glances around nervously)

6 Likes

I dunno, they have been putting living King and Queens on money for thousands of years.

2 Likes

Who says there’s no ‘I’ in team…

Argentina has produced one living queen but she’s living in a country that doesn’t really do famous people on its currency anymore.

ETA: This got me wondering if Vatican City has its own currency since there’s a rather famous Argentinian serving as Head of State there too, but alas it appears that “Francis Fun Money” isn’t a thing either.

8 Likes

At first I was like, “how annoying that an influencer would do that.”

Then I read this that FIFA was mad that someone who was unworthy dared touch it…

"FIFA describes the trophy as “a priceless icon” which “can only be touched and held by a very select group of people, which includes former winners of the FIFA World Cup and heads of state.”

…and now I want to see it get passed around local dive bars like the Stanley Cup.

6 Likes

Alas, the linked article [from a Mexican news site] says [granted, on the seventh paragraph] that it was a joke proposal…

The ways things go over here it wouldn’t have been the weirdest or the worst. There was some talk of a Messi 10,000 pesos bill, but that was even less likely had more of a political charge, as the refusal to print bills with a denomination above 1,000 pesos, which inflation have rendered a bit ridiculous as the highest-denomination one, is a deliberate one to avoid sending inflationary signals (not something I believe or think makes sense, just what was argued).

Anyway, tl;dr: the article says it was a joke proposal (which I very much believe) and I haven’t read in any local media anything that would suggest otherwise.

On the other hand, that has pretty much zero predictive power regarding what might happen tomorrow.

12 Likes

So it is untrue.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, comrade, and thanks for pointing that out. :+1:

4 Likes

YARN | - What? - He's got his own money. | Coming to America | Video clips by quotes | 0e263222 | 紗

4 Likes

I’m surprised that the Daily Heil wouldn’t include, “Potential Illegal Immigrant” in their headline; oh, and, “Rumoured to Cause Cancer”.

4 Likes

He’s a tax cheat. Not sure someone who puts his own wealth above that of society deserves to be on a nation’s currency.

3 Likes

I wish they’d let me write Salt Bae’s response, it would go something like

“FIFA used to stand for honor and tradition in football, upholding traditions of fair play and transparency. Now you’ll sell the World Cup to the highest bidder, accept bribes like salaries, and have completely ruined any sort of reputation you might have had. Basically, lectures from pigs about how rolling around in mud is unbecoming aren’t convincing anyone”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.