Ariana Grande gets Kanji tattoo she thought meant "seven rings" but actually means "small charcoal grill"

They mean this:

That’s what the guy’s tattoo said. The biker thought it said “white power.”

20 Likes

Ah that clears that up, thanks c:

2 Likes

OTOH, abbreviation is a thing in Japanese. She had the bad luck to choose an abbreviation that was already a word for something completely unrelated.

2 Likes

7 Likes

You should attend when this guy invites you to a cookout.

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to get a tattoo in Japanese that says: “check out my awesome tattoo in Japanese.”

13 Likes

I was roommates with a PhD linguistics professor from Japan for a while. I should have gotten a tattoo while the getting was good.

12 Likes

IKR?
And now people can say she’s the grill of their dreams, so there’s that.

12 Likes

via Imgflip Meme Generator

1 Like

My wife and I like to play a game we call “Bad English T-Shirt”, in which we attempt to disgust or break each other with nonsense-english phrases that might end up in a storefront in Tokyo.

I’m currently in the lead with “Sensual Dandruff.” :blush:

10 Likes

This is so beautiful now that I understand it. I wonder if it was done out of ignorance or if the tattoo artist is a master troll.

7 Likes

“Nineteen of these rings were made by the Elven-smiths of Eregion, led by Celebrimbor. These were grouped into three rings for the Elves, seven rings for the Dwarves, and nine rings for men . One additional ring, the One Ring, was forged by Sauron himself at Mount Doom.”

Seven rings sort of fits, she being a dimunitive person and all.

6 Likes

I’m not prone to making fun of people’s bad tattoos, but Ariana Grande could have solved this problem with money that she has. For twenty bucks I’ll check your Arabic tattoos. I’ve seen some bad ones. It is less of a problem since Arabic orthography and meaning is more scrutable absent a cultural context. People trip up on vowel sounds, and direct translations of set phrases.

But tattoos are very much a caveat emptor situation where you really should invest monetarily in some art design and cultural awareness if you can afford it.

7 Likes

Probably from Western website owners who did the same thing. :rofl:

3 Likes

I knew a girl in the Bay Area who got that tattooed on her shoulder. The Chinese tattoo artist told her it meant “spirit.”

4 Likes

If I don’t get an invite imma gatecrash it, I can’t stop drooling!

1 Like

A devil is a kind of spirit.

鬼佬 - Wiktionary
鬼佬 - Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Noun[edit]. 鬼佬. (chiefly Cantonese, Min Dong, colloquial, derogatory, usually offensive) gweilo, “foreign devil” (particularly a European; a Caucasian; whitey) …

3 Likes

It’s so mean, but it always makes me laugh.

2 Likes

Maybe she just really likes yakitori?

3 Likes

Should’ve gotten that kanji tramp stamp… oh well…

1 Like