Arizona deputy Eli Max, who pulled over a black driver for an air freshener, placed on administrative leave

“I’m not looking for marijuana, but I’m going to ask you about it ten times. You know, just curious, but not really. No big deal. Got any? Just kidding. But no really?”

8 Likes

“Do you smoke marijuana?”
“No.”
“Did you just smoke marijuana this morning?”
“No sir.”
“Did you smoke two joints and then you smoked two joints. And then you smoked two more?”
“No sir!”
“Got a joint in there?”
“Nope.”
“Any weed in there?”
“No.”
“Any reefer?”
“Again, no.”
“A roach? A stubbie?”
“no and no”
“How bout jazz cabbage?”
“What? What is that?”
“I’m asking the questions boy! got any Devil’s Lettuce?”
“Uhhhh no.”
“Skunk weed? Gorilla glue? OG Kush?”
“I’m going to say no.”
“How about any blunts, preroll, oil, kerf or shatter?”
“I’m not sure what those are, but no.”
“Any vapes, bongs, one hitters, glassworks or pipes of any kind? Asking for a friend.”
“Tell your friend NO.”
“Edibles, gummies, cookies, brownies, home made infused baked goods of any kind, chocolate or not?”
“I’m allergic to chocolate officer. No.”
“A likely story… any rolling papers, lighters with drug residue or ashes with partially combusted weed?”
“Good grief! No.”
“You seem nervous.”

20 Likes

And/or some other kind of officer fuckup.

5 Likes

It makes me nervous that he’s answering any questions at all.

But I’m glad he came through unscathed to tell the story.

4 Likes

This is the part that blows my mind. Call shit like this out! Punish it! Work to expunge such pieces of shit from your ranks, and MAYBE you won’t see quite as much ACAB and “fuck the police” sentiment out there. Until then, don’t be surprised if every single cop istreated as racist as fuck, because it’s safer to do so.

7 Likes

When you put it that way, it sounds more like the officer was looking for a fix. He sure seems VERY interested in scoring some.

5 Likes

I have a nephew who recently graduated from high school and wants to be a Cleveland police officer. I’m worried that the environment might change him. Right now he’s an incredibly kind young man with a diverse group of close friends in terms of race and gender. My hope is that he will make a difference for the better and become the kind of cop you see that throws a football with a lonely kid or delivers food to a hungry family. My fear is that he’ll be partnered with a crusty racist who will spend time trying to convince him that “there was no police wrongdoing in Tamir Rice killing.”

10 Likes

Yeah, that is a bad cop. The driver handled it very well and thankfully documented it.

4 Likes

When my mom was 70-something, a cop cited her because her one tire was brushed against (not on top) the a parking space line in a parking garage! Then he cited the car next to hers and the one next to that one (the car that first parked poorly).

Then he lectured her about the parking pass hanging from her rearview mirror and threatened to ticket her for that, too. She pointed out that she was parked, and it was the hospital policy to have their employees use these while parked. She’d be glad to have the hospital CEO reach out to the police chief and ask for clarification.

Smaller city cops have nothing better to do than to harass people for the stupidest shit.

9 Likes

Funny: I don’t, and guess where I am…

1 Like

I really don’t see a chief of police with an undocumented (yet well-known by the rank-and-file) history of racism putting his job at risk by expunging racist cops (who could talk). They are partners in racism. That is why changes must happen starting with the people at the top.

5 Likes

Having spent 9 months as Sheriff dispatch for parole division in Texas, I thought if I went in with an open mind and being emotionally armed against racist fallacies, that I could do it, too.
Let me caution you, as an organization, they’re prepared for that stuff, and will single him out as trouble at worst, or a non-team player at best, working against the better interest, whether it be true or not.

7 Likes

I ain’t no expert but shouldn’t you be trained BEFORE they give you a gun, tazer, handcuffs, and such?

1 Like

Oh, they’re trained…how to breach a door, conduct a stop, fear for your life and shoot a perp, smell some weed when you feel the need to search a car or a residence, and turn off your body cam.

4 Likes

Deputy Eli Max’s official photo looks remarkably like a mugshot of a suspect.

When your morality is based on old aphorisms that nobody can even remember, you’re gonna have a really fucked up sense of morality.

Yeahm, I think a lot of this libertarian-ish advice about how to deal with the cops assumes that you’re white.

Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: I have Fourth Amendment rights! This is a public thoroughfare and you are on camera! There is no gold fringe on that flag!!!1!eleventyone!!!

Not exactly gonna end well.

How much of a racist fuckup do you have to be when you’re considered too racist and fucked up for a job that specifically hires racist fuckups?

4 Likes

It is, because the cops can ticket you for anything that obstructs your view. If they feel bastardly enough, they can pull you over because of your air freshener, or because your windows are a little foggy, or because they don’t like the tint on your windshield, or really any other bullshit reason they can come up with.

On the subject of tinted windows, my brother got pulled over for that and got repeatedly badgered about marijuana. There was no marijuana in his truck. The officer just assumed that the “kind of person” (wink wink nudge nudge) who would drive a truck with tinted windows would smoke marijuana.

9 Likes

If the department was so low on funds that they are going after that kind of low-hanging fruit, they’d get a lot more profit from disability placards. If I had a nickel for every one I’ve seen in moving vehicles - when it says right on the placard to only use it when parked - I’d be rich.

2 Likes

Witness Sandra Bland. - " Encinia stopped Bland on the afternoon of July 10, 2015, on University Drive[20] in Prairie View, Texas, for failure to signal a lane change.[21][22] In a series of events recorded by his dashcam, along with a bystander and Bland herself, Encinia spoke to Bland, the interaction became heated, and he removed her from her car. After they moved out of frame, he placed her on the ground, and he later arrested her.[4]"

From - Death of Sandra Bland - Wikipedia

5 Likes

Ha, this takes me back. When I was young I got pulled over for the thin palm sunday palm frond I draped over the rearview mirror after the service and left there for weeks (it was maybe an inch wide, it was not obstructing any views). I asked “what about all the people who have dice* and air fresheners hanging from the mirrors” and the policewoman assured me they were illegal as well. I decided not to squander the goodwill she gave from the fact that it was a church-y thing and not a druggie thing by questioning her further on issues of selective enforcement.

*yeah I’m dating myself here

2 Likes