Arizona Republic editor responds to death threats following Clinton endorsement

Unfortunately, death threats are a symptom of the intense anger and fear that grips certain groups who feel that their fictional ideological way of life is under attack by liberal forces. However, it seems that right wing nut jobs (of which there are plenty in AZ apparently) are particularly prone to carrying thru with actual violence.

Lest we not forget that actual assassinations have occurred in the past from these fringe wackos so it’s not a good idea to dismiss these as idle threats.

I’m reminded of the assassination of left wing radio host Alan Berg in the mid-80’s by members of a white supremacy splinter group. Berg was a bit of a left wing Rush Limbaugh figure and lightening rod who really enjoyed pissing off RWNJ (Right Wing Nut Jobs) on his daily radio show. He was murdered with an illegal machine gun in front of his home one night after receiving numerous death threats the week before.

13 Likes

Don Bolles was an Arizona Republic reporter who died in a Mafia-related car bombing while investigating influence peddling and bribery.

8 Likes

Statistically speaking, far more accurate.

2 Likes

You know, it reaches a point where it’s not funny, and laughter is not the best medicine. It reaches a point where we need the law to protect us.

Remember, the armed forces did not rise up and overthrow Obama, and the police did not gun him down in the street. The revolution is not coming - but a few crazies have all the guns they need.

7 Likes

22 Likes

#lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate

13 Likes

And this is why you don’t see Hilary signs in people’s yards. Even if you think she’s the best thing since sliced bread, you’re probably going to keep that to yourself since your Trump-loving, gun-loving, neighbor is probably off their meds this week.

13 Likes

We would proudly have a Hillary sign in our yard if the house weren’t for sale. The realtor said no political signs. I do have one in my car.

4 Likes

This is why I no longer have bumper stickers. I would routinely get harassed on account of my bumper stickers, and this was in the early 2000s, which were a simpler, more peaceful time :open_mouth:

8 Likes

Arizona God Damn, in other words.

8 Likes

10 Likes

I don’t remember when, but I think at some point he actually made it clear that he would keep up the Trump 2016 satire through the election season.

5 Likes

I didn’t know about that. First thing I thought of was Tiny Planets:

2 Likes

In the 2000s, I made 8.5x11" signs for the back of my car so I could change them however often I wanted. driving trollies long Pro War commutes. I got a lot of evil glares, a few appreciative honks, and one woman stopped at a traffic light trying to pick an argument before the light turned green.

If I was tempted now, I’d remember how many people here have concealed carry permits.

5 Likes

I was with you up until this.

Hate, anger, prejudice, xenophobia, racism, and ignorance are not shades of mental illness—they are elements of human nature. And that is way more frightening.

ETA: I hope you don’t feel I’m admonishing you. That wasn’t my intent. I actually think you have a point. My parents have told me that where they live, there are at least a few reports a week in the local paper of someone stealing Clinton lawn signs. The scenario you suggest is plausible; it’s just that it doesn’t require mental illness.

14 Likes

@Modusoperandi’s modus operandi is being @Modusoperandi. Hope that clears things up.

16 Likes

Shit, the very evocation of this little guy is enough to bring tears to my eyes. Such a great movie!

3 Likes

Only if one failed to mention a firearm in the threat.

4 Likes

A guy behind me at the gas station hassled me over an anti Death Penalty sticker, and said I had no right to my opinion because my parents paid for everything :confused: I was in my twenties, had long since moved out and had a masters degree, but in his defense I probably could have passed for 16 at the time.

8 Likes

This would seem to be the appropriate bing boing bit., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrG6l-5CAg

3 Likes