Arizona woman sees Jesus in dental x-ray of her molars

You’re suggesting that we shoot hot neutrons at someone’s head just for shits and giggles and imaging purposes?

Isn’t there a saying in nuclear chemistry that goes:

You’re given an alpha emitter, a gamma emitter and a neutron emitter. You have three things you can do: throw one away, swallow one, and hold one in your pocket. Which goes where?

And the correct answer is something like: you swallow the gamma emitter, you hold the alpha emitter in your pocket and you don’t throw away the neutron emitter, you run away from it instead?

ETA: turns out it’s the radioactive cookie test

You’re given four cookies: alpha, beta, gamma and neutron.

You can throw one away, eat one, hold one in your hand and put one in your pocket.
To minimize exposure:

Alpha goes in your pocket - is easiest to shield, pants are great at blocking alpha particles

Beta goes in your hand - is easily shielded, but we don’t have anything better than skin and air

Gamma goes in your gullet - we don’t have a lead apron, so swallowing it or holding it doesn’t make much difference in terms of exposure

Neutron you throw away - because it’s even harder to shield than gamma, and is biologically worse

7 Likes

I see boobies.

1 Like

The dose equivalent for neutrons is at most 20 times the dose of xrays, and that’s for the worst-case around 1 MeV.

The cookie test does not mention the intensity of the individual emitters. I’d prefer to hold a small neutron source from a moisture gauge over merely being in close vicinity of an iridium-192 radiography pellet. Those things are bright.

Besides, if a limited dose of neutrons into a hard tissue of the tooth significantly lowers the risk of a toothache, I’d consider it a win.

And the permitted doses are ridiculously low anyway. The linear no-threshold model is not supported by observations, and the longer-term effects of even fairly high single doses are less catastrophic than the public mythology of radiation effects would suggest. Check e.g. the list of criticality accidents, and the fates of the survivors, for some extreme doses that involve even the bad’n’ugly neutrons.

1 Like

I’d rather just avoid exposure to ionizing radiation as best I can.

* says the man who smokes a pack a day and knows full-well that the ash and smoke is putting an above-background-levels-amount of actinides directly in his lungs *

1 Like

You’re all looking at the wrong part of the x-ray! Isee Jesus"s ball bag.

It’s simply coinci-dental…

Or perhaps an enamel-ly…

Sorry…

2 Likes

My bet is that the radiation-from-cigarettes is more an additional scaremongering than a real threat. I’d worry way WAY more about the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and their ilk.

You can’t handle the tooth! Gum by jaw my lord…

1 Like

Enhance.

Hahahah. Literal LOL. Nice. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m sorry, but wouldn’t that be “One-third God; All Man”? True, that just doesn’t have quite the same punch to it…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.