Arizona's ban on filming police may see a quick death

Originally published at: Arizona's ban on filming police may see a quick death | Boing Boing

13 Likes

On top of the obvious skullduggery, how would that even work with so many people now using Ring cameras and other home security surveillance?
I wonder if next they’ll try, “okay, you can record, but you can’t publicize that recording in any way. Except to share it with the police if they ask for it, in which case you’re obligated to hand it over. But only to us.”

20 Likes

Cops…protecting and serving…themselves.

18 Likes

To throw back their own words at them “If you’re not doing anything wrong you’ve got nothing to be afraid of”

The difference here of course being that the monitoring is only occuring while they are working and it is their employer (i.e. citizens) doing the monitoring. This isn’t a violation of privacy, it is literally part of their job - their performance review!

19 Likes

And I immediately wondered whether this law applies to security and dash cameras? Or for that matter the newer 360° automotive camera? Note that the latter are safety equipment, so dinking with them would violate Federal law. Maybe even Arizona law.

10 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 1.56.52 PM

18 Likes

Damn glad to hear because when I first read about this I was pretty horrified.

3 Likes

FTP! By which I mean Film The Police, of course.

3 Likes

Would it be in bad taste or egregious taste for the local ACLU chapter’s lawyer to shout “stop resisting, stop resisting!” while administering the appropriate legal challenge?

6 Likes

Poorly, I think. I recently saw a short clip of a cop trying to keep from being filmed by using duct tape over the lens. Even if you do cover the lens, you cannot keep from being filmed on your approach, if it’s within it’s field of vision.

2 Likes

Every cop henceforth: “I thought the cell phone was a gun so I slapped it out of his/her hand. And stomped it to bits.”

2 Likes

They sure ain’t camera-shy when it comes to posing with their toys and costumes. Foil-wrapped cucumbers are optional.

4 Likes

Baby Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Foil wrapped cucumbers is a great analogy for most cops.

4 Likes

This is the most hopeful thing in a while I’m seeing out of that state and puts the tally one closer to not ruling it out as a place to move (I am from there originally and have family there).

Tally’s still pretty far against due to some existential issues, but it’s closer now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.