Arizona's kick-ass new bisexual Senator took her oath on the US Constitution, administered by cringing, homophobic Dominionist Mike Pence

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/05/goody-2shoes-xtian-kendoll.html

9 Likes

This woman is an inspirational figure.

DNC: here is your candidate with spine, mettle, achievement and movie-star good looks. Bring her to the national stage.

24 Likes

She is a Blue Dog Democrat. I can’t see that working on a national level right now.

ETA:

16 Likes

I have always believed that Pence makes that squinty face because “Mother” likes to lock his chastity device really tight. Let’s pants Pence and find out!

18 Likes

So is Beto, apparently.

13 Likes

Poor Kyrsten Sinema doesn’t even get her name in her own headlines - but Mike Pence does!
Meanwhile, Mike was composed and welcoming in a very statesman like manner - something we could not expect from the sitting president.

14 Likes

Hit him up with the bare shoulders too - another conservative whining point.

13 Likes

Citation needed.

Seriously, I’m as much a fan of Direct-Action Jesus as anyone else – the Cleansing of the Temple doesn’t get half as much attention as it should – but his message is annoyingly neutered by Status-Quo Jesus (“Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s”). And I really don’t remember the forcible expropriation verses at all.

7 Likes

Citation needed indeed. Closest I can come to that is the account of the Rich Young Man who wanted to know what he needed to do to get into heaven. He kept all the commandments, he said, what else?

Matthew 19:21-22 NRSV

Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” When the young man heard this word, he went away grieving, for he had many possessions.

There’s a lot of noise about not being able to serve God and Mammon simultaneously and “storing up your treasures in heaven” but that’s not “forcible expropriation” except maybe by the non existent god of Abraham and Moses.

9 Likes

Question one I think is: does she weigh the same as a duck?

17 Likes

I’m sure pence would love to build a bridge out of her

11 Likes

I have to disagree with this, considering the context was trickery and that it didn’t stand in the way of Mennonite and Quaker tax resisters.

5 Likes

Gosh, 2019 just might be a tad better than 2018.

7 Likes

The handshake that will ever end. Pence is going to have nightmares about this or perhaps wet dreams. Good eye discipline, though.

handshake

17 Likes

Direct-action Jesus sounds like an action figure.
But also… illegal immigrant? That’s a hard argument to support. I like the motivation, but I don’t think there was the same kind of border or documentation that we have today. In fact, I don’t think we had that in the USA for the 1st 100 years. You could just come on in if you wanted.
I prefer my left arguments to take more than 10 sec to refute…

4 Likes

Two things:

1. It’s really nice to ‘see’ my vote working!

2. Pence is allowed to shake her hand without his wife there? :thinking:

8 Likes

God this is stupid.

I love this kind of ceremony and actually watched each of these ceremonial swearings in. Mike Pence is a stiff guy. He did better with families and with people that he knew, but he struck me as perfectly gracious to Republican and Democrat alike.

3 Likes

You have one in mind in particular, yes?

Frankly I don’t think it’s realistic to expect Democratic politicians from overwhelmingly red states to be among the most politically progressive members of their party. Just as Arnold Schwarzenegger wasn’t one of the most conservative Republicans when he won the governorship of California.

19 Likes

Those aren’t eyes.

3 Likes