Mike Pence transitions from Trump's dull sidekick to Republican pariah

Originally published at: Mike Pence transitions from Trump's dull sidekick to Republican pariah | Boing Boing

14 Likes
19 Likes

He’s praying that Trump, Desantis and the rest of the field are taken home to Jesus early and he’ll be the remaining Great White Hope.

15 Likes

Oh dear - never mind.

Pence alienated old school Republicans by cosying up to Trump in the first place, now he’s alienated the looney toons brigade by not being extreme enough.

Oh well, he’s got a nice rabbit.

18 Likes

You could easily give Pence credit for doing the right thing and certifying the election, as required by law. But then he bungles all the credit away by continuing to profess loyalty to a guy who literally wanted to get him and his family executed by a mob of Nazis.

20 Likes

Because he doesn’t want to lose the Nazi vote.

8 Likes

Pence is a loser.

He could, and should, have turned against Trump when the Orange One’s frenzied cultists invaded the Capitol, wanting to hang him. At that moment, his career as a Republican politician was effectively over, so why not go out in a blaze of glory, lashing out against The Former Guy and urging the congressional GOP to censure him, or whatever.

Instead, he did what he always has done: he dithered, bumbled, and chose the stupid and morally corrupt path that did not gain him anything.

9 Likes

He’s very much a spineless opportunist. While Trump was out in the front doing and saying wild things Pence did everything possible to blend into the background. J6 put him front and center, and its very obvious that he’s trying his best to remain a background player.

12 Likes

“Mike Pence Transitions…”

Just stop it there and watch the fireworks.

14 Likes

Is it wrong that I still find this amusing?

15 Likes

I’d think less of you if you didn’t.

15 Likes

This is SUCH a good burn, I love it!

Clapping Applause GIF

18 Likes

Beelzebub approves.

4 Likes

We are conflicted.

Though, according to Wikipedia, JFK and Lincoln had rabbits, too.

4 Likes

I wonder what Pence is doing running for president - it’s been suggested he’s positioning himself to get a plum job at a right-wing organization/think tank, but I’m not sure what a humiliating run for president does for him in aid of that. Seems like he’d have been better off just slinking off after his vice presidential stint, unless he thinks he can somehow rehabilitate his image during his campaign, which… seems to be going quite poorly. Unless I’m misunderstanding what “image rehabilitation” looks like in the post-Trump world. Maybe presenting himself as a spineless waffler is his career move…

That’s the thing, though - I don’t know that the vote really matters to him. His time in any sort of elected office is clearly over, he’s alienated all possible voters, and he’s surely not delusional enough to think he’d ever win any election at this point. Whatever he’s doing must be about setting himself up for a post-political career, in which case broad support (which he’s not going to get) doesn’t matter.

Gods, maybe that’s the whole point - he got too much attention during J6 and its aftermath, so the whole point of this is to fade back into the background, ironically - perversely - using an ostensible presidential run (where normally candidates try to do the opposite) as the opportunity to do so… he wants to show the Heritage Foundation (or whoever) that he’s a team player who won’t rock the boat, so please give him a job.

4 Likes

If anything he’s looking for a sinecure. Concede to another candidate, get appointed ambassador to somewhere nice. Go there and don’t dine with any women.

6 Likes

More like…

1 Like

I suspect a job at some right-wing organization is probably more likely to be the kind of job-for-life that he’s after. The particular dynamics of how being a spineless embarrassment are helping him get there are rather opaque to me, though.

1 Like

Clearly over to you and to me, but what evidence do we have that he’s capable of such a thought?

3 Likes

He should buy a boat.

7 Likes