Arizona's kick-ass new bisexual Senator took her oath on the US Constitution, administered by cringing, homophobic Dominionist Mike Pence

Does anyone know what she said to him at the end that made him respond “That is very comforting. More than you could ever know.”?

As for how he responded to her, speaking as a woman who was once young and now has beautiful daughters: he was responding to her physical attractiveness but maintaining a professional stance. She knew to be charming and disarm him that way, and it worked. He gets point for not being an openly lecherous jerk, I guess, but don’t kid yourself: that exchange would have gone very differently if she were a lot older and less pretty. That’s when you would have seen the stiffness and discomfort at all she represents.

3 Likes

In a few other swearings in he mentions “humble” regarding the job. I think he says “it is very humbling, more than you can ever know.”

My new favorite phrase.

1 Like

I don’t think we should give him too much credit for being able to be civil for the 10 minutes (if that) he had to interact with these people. Kind of like how the media talks about Trump looking “presidential” just because he can sorta stand still for 10 minutes at a time without insulting someone or groping Ivanka. We’re letting them lower the bar too far.

3 Likes

Congratulations AZ!

We here in Commiefornia are, honestly, usually not proud of AZ, but you guys hit it out of the park with Ms. Sinema.

1 Like

Wow, my post was flagged as spam. Thanks everyone!

Why not? You can simultaneously be gracious and polite to a person while simultaneously advocating for someone’s sexuality to be illegal.

Trump doesn’t actually look “presidential” for 10 minutes, he can just sometimes act kinda normal.

I don’t see any reason to think Pence would treat her with any less kindness in private either and I think that’s a really important thing to understand.

Even someone with beliefs as terrible as Pence can be trusted in positions of authority. Just not positions where they can act on those beliefs.

It also means that just because someone is police and gracious to you doesn’t mean they don’t want to do things that would make your life hell.

The important part for me is that he shoehorned it in. As you point out, the phrase is So help me God and is sometimes spoken by those taking the oath. It is not a question to be asked of an oath taker. That was just Pence injecting his odious made up fantasy role playing game into someone else’s oath.

5 Likes

I always thought of the term “Blue Dog” as a label bordering on epithet. I didn’t realize it was an actual caucus. I was thinking of his voting record, which is much more centrist than most people realize.

1 Like

I believe the Gospel of Luke has plenty of examples.

Clearly you haven’t been writing about religion on the internet for very long.

1 Like

FTFY

1 Like

If he added it himself then i fully agree. The page says many government offices have that portion as part of the official oath which when being done in a repeat after me fashion the reader does substitute you for me. So from the link it seemed just as likely that it was part of the official oath that she intentionally chose not to repeat because it can’t be required. fair enough i wouldn’t either, i prefer to keep religion out of politics and think that if that is still part of any official oath the oath should be amended. if it is part of the oath it isn’t appropriate for it to be there.

It is possible it wasn’t a part of the oath and he added it as some weird maneuver, but he seemed a lot more robotic and by the numbers than that to me. is it possible to look up the official oath? seems like that would be public record but i don’t have any idea how to look its exact wording. if he did add it in that seems pretty inappropriate and disrespectful to me.

Where on that page does it mention "So help you god ? " The phrase “so help me god.” is a short prayer optionally uttered by those taking an oath asking for divine assistance in with a difficult task. Asking the question “So help you god ?” is religious test.

Actual oath text here

1 Like

Matthew 2:1-15 New International Version (NIV)

The Magi Visit the Messiah

2 After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”

3 When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him. 4 When he had called together all the people’s chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Messiah was to be born. 5 “In Bethlehem in Judea,” they replied, “for this is what the prophet has written:

6 “‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for out of you will come a ruler
who will shepherd my people Israel.’

7 Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. 8 He sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.”

9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. 12 And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route.

The Escape to Egypt

13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.”

14 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, 15 where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: “Out of Egypt I called my son.”

1 Like

So, she votes both ways???

It was more the forcible expropriation bit I was questioning. However, though the Flight into Egypt may make him a refugee, it doesn’t really make him an illegal immigrant.

Allegedly true story: a child was found busily drawing an aeroplane during a Religious Studies class. When asked what they were drawing, they replied “The Flight into Egypt. Look, there’s Mary, there’s Joseph, and there’s the Baby Jesus.”

“And who’s this sitting at the front?” asked the teacher.

“That’s Pontius the Pilot.”

2 Likes

Yeah, that all seemed rather pleasant.

shrug

1 Like

Actually it seemed rather “PENCE”-like. He seemed wooden and awkward, but no more or less than any other time I see him. I just think that’s how the guy is a freaking walking cypher/zilch. No personality, no flair, only a faint heartbeat as the sign of life.

sorry if not clear, when any oath is done read and repeat format like this all me’s are replaced for you’s by the reader, universally, and switched back by the repeater. it is how that format works. Some readers leave them as me’s but that is less common.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Thanks for the link. I was correct, it is indeed there as part of the official oath, unfortunately. he was just reading for her to repeat. I thought he was too much of a deadpan stickler to even improvise such a jab. the guy is a robot for evil not a verbal jouster.

I think they need to revise that oath to remove that asap, maybe this incident will bring enough attention to help this happen.